Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently aquired a 73 1/2 ton truck for parts (complete truck) the guy told me he drove it to where it was parked 3 years ago. I have been trying to start this thing so I can move it around, it won't start with the key which is not a problem as I hooked a remote starter switch to it on the starter relay battery post and the solenoid post. It now turns over but will not start everything sounds fine when cranking. Best I can tell there is no spark. I have checked ECU , voltage reg, coil (which I did replace the wire from coil to distributor it was broke in half. thought that would fix it but it didn't.) I pulled a plug wire to check for spark while cranking and there is none. I have gone through my Chiltons manual and cannot figure out the problem. I did come across something called a start/run relay in the book, where is this thing located??? ??? and could it be my trouble? any help is greatly appreciated. thanks, Rob

·
Registered
619 Posts
the starter relay should be on the drivers side. it looks like a little metallic box and the positive battery cable goes into it and there are several other wires going in. other than that, i dont know what the problem would be.

·
2,317 Posts
did you change the ballist resistor?(proclen box) only a few$ but have seen this alot.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Well, even with the remote start switch, I am pretty sure you need to have the key in the run position for it to start. Check that first.

The I would check for spark at the coil itself. If there is no spark there, it either is bad or not getting any juice.

Brian

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
If you just need to move it, a very temporary "fix" is to run a wire from the battery positive to the coil positive terminal. This should get it going long enough to move it around (disconnect it when you are done!). Do not make this a permanent fix, as it will eventually burn out your coil.

-SM

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hooked a jumper wire from battery pos to coil pos and the engine started. So does that tell me that the coil is bad or power is not getting to the coil as in bad wiring or both??

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
PlymouthRock said:
I hooked a jumper wire from battery pos to coil pos and the engine started. So does that tell me that the coil is bad or power is not getting to the coil as in bad wiring or both??
it signifies that you are not getting enough juice either to the coil or through the coil

·
Registered
59 Posts
that or this means your switch is bad. you could also check your fusable links from the starter relay and to the ballist risister. they all are right where the plug goes into the starter relay. get you a circut tester and ground one end to the battery and then just poke the end of the tester on to the wire about 3 inches from the plugs on the relay if you get a light then it is good if no light then that is you problem. this is just an idea of where to start, there can be other things to try but start here and see where you go with it. keep us posted, we can fix almost anythin g here at rcc

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey everyone, sorry its been a while since I posted. I got the truck started using the jumper from pos bat to pos coil. After it starts I can unhook the jumper and it is just fine and stays running. So for some reason it is not getting enough juice to it when starting. the battery is bad and I have to jump start the truck. Does the bad batt. have anything to do with it?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
that is a possibility... also sounds like what happened to my 73 valiant when the starter relay deal on the fender went bad.... who knows

1 - 11 of 11 Posts