Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The truck I posted the other day about with rotten floor and frame rail is giving me fits again. The truck was stored at my father-in-laws last summer and I went out and got him last week. The ride home was interesting to say the least. I've been having issues with bad idle issues lately. I have since rebuilt the carb twice and got him to run and idle for about 5 minutes. Then just out of no where he up and dies. I thought fuel, so I pulled carb off once again and went through it for the third time. Put it back on motor to give it a shot and still nothing. Hit throttle linkage on carb and now I'm getting fuel but won't fire. I pulled plug in #1 cylinder and wow now no spark. Go back to distributor pull coil wire no spark there. Pull coil check windings and they seem good. Getting 12v to positive side of coil. Went through steps to check for spark through chiltons manual and it says to change relay. I know i seen somewhere on here how to test relay but the pictures would not come up for me. Can anyone give me a guideline on where to go from here and how to test what's left that I haven't tested yet? Just on the drive home I remembered just why I love this truck so much and why I am going through all the hassle to get him running. Thanks for the help guys. By the way I'm going to look at the other truck tonight.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Never mind the picture I remembered Dodgeboys posted it on my other posting.

·
Super Moderator
1,296 Posts
If no crank, check what else isn’t working. If it’s most of the truck that’s a blow alt gauge.

If crank, no spark I’d grab my spare ECU, especially if your running an aftermarket one. They can be tempermental about having a good ground (through mounting screw) - a small jumper from the heat sink to a good ground is a quick test. They can also be heat sensitive near end of life.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will crank just no spark. I'll look into the ground on ECU, it's the factory replacement through Autozone.

·
Registered
28,509 Posts
It will crank just no spark. I'll look into the ground on ECU, it's the factory replacement through Autozone.
hate to say it but it's probly junk

·
Registered
28,509 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
The mechanic I have work on my trucks tell me to NEVER use factory replacement ECU's. They are all junk. He said ONLY use Chrysler or Chrysler approved ECU's. Don't recall which. I can get the name off the one he put in mine. I have a pile of ECU's in the garage that don't work from the PO. The one I have now is working great. (Knock on wood)

·
Super Moderator
1,296 Posts
hate to say it but it's probly junk
Ok, I'll say it - I'm absolutely sure it's junk and remember this thread?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts