Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it was mentioned before but I don't remember the title of the thread.

I have spark I have starter engagement but I am not getting spark while starter is engaging unless I do the solenoid bypass. Any suggestions on where things are going wrong? 

I can get spark and starter by putting key in on position and doing the bypass at the starter relay.

This is a 72 with 74 wiring and MSD 6al

·
Registered
230 Posts
Distributor probably has two pickups and one is burned out.  Happened exactly opposite to me, run burned out, start was fine.  It would fire right up and then die as soon as it returned run position.  I cursed a lot on the side of the road that day....

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like I said no spark when using key in ignition position but spark when bypassing at Starter relay with key in run position. once it starts it runs fine.

·
Super Moderator
14,339 Posts
Sounds like a bad ignition switch. Check this. You will need an assistant for a moment.

Disconnect lead to starter so engine won't crank. Get a test light or meter. Put key to on position and check for current to the coil + (small wire). You have voltage there, about 6-9 volts if you have a ballast resistor. Next have assistant turn key to the start position. There should be "12" volts (full battery voltage) to the coil. I suspect you won't have power in the start position.

·
Administrator
62,303 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok lets say for grins and giggles that it may of been wired wrong... As this is a 74 wiring harness that was put in a 72 after being rewired to deal with ignition issues of fried wires well over 10 years ago then parked and forgotten.

What would the screw up be to allow that? just want to rule out the Haynes manual errors before buying an ignition switch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.