Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 88 RC. It has a 408 stroker (360 block) that I just built. Had a MSD 6AL with a Accel Super Coil in it when I got it. Just got it all put in the truck and I have no spark. Tried doing the test in the MSD manual of jumping the wires going to the dist and seeing if coil wire sparks, I got nothing. Tried wiring the coil to the battery along with the distributor and still got nothing. It has a vaccum advance, magnetic dist. It'll crank over all day, but never get any spark. Anyone got any ideas as to what to try?

I have the small red wire on the 6AL wired to a switch that I can turn on/off and is wired to the battery. Would the mag pickup in the dist cause all of this?

·
Registered
29,359 Posts
all that new fangled BS is bunk / l stick with what WORKS and thats the stock mopar ignition / if something fails l carry the parts to fix it and there EVERY day stuff you can get ANYWERE off of any mopar / were you gonna find a MSD out in the woods

G

·
I agree wit Dodgeboy's that MSD BS wont cut it, you need to restore it back to the origial igniton or the HEI wiring, cause at least they work...

i would go with HEI, just cause its a simple set up, and its a better ignition system, but its not my truck....

·
Registered
722 Posts
Sounds like the switch you mention was something you added...try wiring it the way it's supposed to be wired. I bet the switch is no good

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wouldn't work before or after the switch, switch is fine...swapped it with the one that rusn the fuel pump and the fuel pump works fine.

Not sure how old the 6AL is...was in the truck when I got it back in Jan this year. Swapped the coil with a different coil and still nothin. Does the mag pickup in the dist affect this at all? In terms of not getting spark out of the coil???

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yes the mag pickup does affect it. If the mag pickup doesnt work the MSD will never trigger. You can test this by:

" Make sure the ignition switch is in the "Off"
position.
2. Remove the coil wire from the distributor cap
and set the terminal approximately 1/2" from
ground.
3. Disconnect the MSD magnetic pickup wires
from the distributor.
4. Turn the ignition to the On position. Do not
crank the engine.
5. With a small jumper wire, short the MSD's Green and Violet magnetic pickup wires
together. Each time you break this short, a spark should jump from the coil wire to
ground. If spark is present, the ignition is working properly. If there is no spark skip to
step 6 below:
6. If there is no spark:
A. Inspect all of the wiring.
B. Substitute another coil and repeat the test. If there is now spark, the coil is at fault.
C. If there is still no spark, check to make sure there is 12 volts on the small Red wire
from the MSD when the key is in the On position. If 12 volts is not present, find
another switched 12 volt source and repeat the test.
D. If, after following the test procedures and inspecting all of the wiring, there is still
no spark, the MSD Ignition is in need of repair. See the Warranty and Service"

This is straight out of the MSD manual.

As I stated in your other post about this issue I run the same setup you have and have run the exact same componants for about 10 years now in 3 different trucks without a problem. I have a 6AL in my Thunderbird and an Austrailian knockoff (ProComp) in my wife's Dodge turbo Shadow. They are very reliable units. If this unit ran before the swap then I would bet you missed a wire somewhere. As for DODGEBOYS comment about not having spares in the woods, while I have never needed any I do still have all the original wiring in my truck and all it would take is to install the old coil (in my truck box) and plug the old Mopar ignition back in (still on the firewall) to be back to original. So in essence I do have a spare ignition if something were to happen. Its a must to be prepared for that possibility.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i went through and did that test and got nothin...i've looked through the wiring i don't know how many times now and still haven't found a wire that i've missed anywhere.

any other way to test the mag pickup? I just removed the entire MSD box from the truck, wiring and all. Any way I can wire the truck up to get it to start? I have no idea where the guy cut any of the wires when he installed the MSD....

·
Registered
712 Posts
You can wire it back to a Mopar ignition. You will need a Mopar ignition box a ballast resistor and a different coil. I think you can use the super stock coil you had. I know the super coil requires and additional ballast resistor if you use it in the stock configuration. Or you can do the HEI conversion which I have no experience with but I know there are some on here that do. I can post the wiring diagram for my 82 which is basically what you will want to go back to stock. Your 88 had the computer which I assume is long gone.

1 last question for you. I know its a stupid one but no one has asked it yet, are you sure the dist is turning?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya know, at this point there are no stupid questions lol...yeah i'm sure it's turning

the ignition box is still on the firewall, just had the connector unplugged. Ok well, I just pulled everything out of the truck that was different front stock and rewired the MSD like the manual says except i put the small red straight to the battery like the heavy red. No power at the coil when i checked with a volt meter. So something in the MSD has to be bad, correct?

Can you send me the diagram for how you have your 82 wired up? e-mail is [email protected]

Thanks for your help.

I've done the HEI module on a 76 Power Wagon I had and it wasn't hard to do at all. Have to find the instructions again on how to do it.

Mainly i need to see where the 2 wires coming from the dist go to.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok well i need to restate part of my last post. When cranking the truck over, I have .02V at the coil. I think the MSD is screwed

·
Registered
712 Posts
Sounds like it. MSD's number is 915-855-7123 if you want to call them. They may find something we missed. give me a few and i will post the 82 stock ignition schematic here.

·
Registered
712 Posts
here is a basic schematic. If you need more detail let me know.

·
29,540 Posts
hemiyellow said:
No power at the coil when i checked with a volt meter.
You won't find power at the coil with a CD ignition with just the key on as it works differently than inductive ignition. A CD ignition stores voltage in a capacitor within the ignition unit itself. When spark is called for, it sends this voltage (around 400 volts) to the coil, at which point the coil acts as a step-up transformer and increases the voltage up to around 40,000 volts. Hence "Capacitive Discharge".

To test a stock type pickup coil, you need to test the resistence between the two leads, it should be between 150 and 900 Ohms if I remember correctly. However, if you did the test explained above and still had no spark, they probably isn't the issue.

·
Registered
712 Posts
KThaxton said:
You won't find power at the coil with a CD ignition with just the key on as it works differently than inductive ignition. A CD ignition stores voltage in a capacitor within the ignition unit itself. When spark is called for, it sends this voltage (around 400 volts) to the coil, at which point the coil acts as a step-up transformer and increases the voltage up to around 40,000 volts. Hence "Capacitive Discharge".

To test a stock type pickup coil, you need to test the resistence between the two leads, it should be between 150 and 900 Ohms if I remember correctly. However, if you did the test explained above and still had no spark, they probably isn't the issue.
This is the guy to help you with the HEI conversion as I have never done it.

·
29,540 Posts
Nah, Doc or joe would be more help.....I did my plow truck 2 years ago and haven't really thought about it since......I would likely have to research any questions specific to the convertion since I have a bad memory.  ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well i called MSD and they said anywhere from $25-100 to diag and repair the box...but i'd like to get it runnin without it to make sure everything else is ok before i get into that....ok so how do i go about wiring up this stuff since all the wires are gone that would have originally been there...

·
Registered
712 Posts
well you said the original mopar ignition module is still on the firewall right? just start at its plug and go with the diagram I posted. But I think you had the old lean burn computer. It may be best to go HEI for you or you will need to take a trip to the junk yard to get the connector for the mopar module on the firewall from an 84?? or under. I don't know if the parts houses still sell that connector. It looks just like the diagram, 5 pin rounded triangle sorta. Then you will need the ignition module from an 84 or lower and a ballast resistor. I think that super stock coil you have will work for the coil.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok i decided to dive into the wiring and see what the P.O. had done exactly...the 4 wires that go to the ignition module are blue, black/yellow, gray, and brown/white. They all run through to the right places, i think, with the exception of the blue. Which should be coming from the ignition resistor which is switched on/off from the ignition switch, correct?

On my truck, it's been spliced together(behind the brake booster) with the blue wire for the voltage regulator, another wire for something that isn't plugged in on the pass side and then to the oil pressure sensor. And then it's also been spliced together on top of the inner fender on the driver side and can't tell what it runs to for sure. The black/yellow runs to the harness on the manifold for where the hookup should have been for the (-) side of the coil.

The gray and brown/white, which should be the dist wires, run down to a connector that isn't plugged into anything. There's 2 connectors by the pass side valve cover, one runs to the harness on the manifold, and the other isn't pulgged into anything.

I know this may be confusing but I can try and clear it up some more if need be. Also, the blue wire that runs to the ignition module also runs to a big connection on the firewal. This is the feed for everything inside, the truck, correct?

Ok, i tracked down the 3 wires that run in the harness on top of the driver side fender...each one of the wires goes to a different 3 wire module on the inner fender.

The wiring for this relay is has been cut also...anyone know what it is or where the wires in the 3 wire connector go? It's spose to be bolted to the firewall above the ignition moduel.

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
Well colors for your truck dont match mine all the way so lets go by the connector numbers.

1. its color is red in my book it goes to a big splice that runs power wires to the alternator the voltage regulator and one side of the ballast resistor.This wire also runs to the ignition switch and is powered when you are in run.

2. blk and yellow. runs to negative side of coil thru a connector on pass side by voltage regulator.

3. not used

4.gray goes to dist thru same connector as 2

5.brown goes to dist thru same connector

the other side of the ballast resistor is pink and it goes to the positive side of the coil and to the starter relay (so you get full voltage during start).

That relay may have been for a dual pickup dist. if so you dont need it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts