Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok once again on the 95..... this thing is great but its got its problem..... ok.... the reverse lights do not work at all.... replaced the bulds and still nothing.... switch possibly???? also the book calls for a dual filiment 3157 bulb.... why use a dual filiment bulb for hte reverse lights??? this makes no sence!!!!

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
universality for the sake simplicity,makes it much simpler on the assembly line.thats my opinion anyway.check fuses first then test at the wiring harness.if it has a tee connector for trailer wiring,test before that.it seems rare that a PNRDL switch fails in a dodge.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
checked em but i will check again tomorrow when i have some cover.... tahnx

·
7,995 Posts
I'll poke around some more but I have seen 2 different part numbers listed with Mopar(even an 1156 twist in!) and the 3157 listed elsewhere. Looks like another Mopar f-up with the descriptions. ??? 3156 would be a single filament bulb. Try this, remove both back up bulbs, set the park brake, turn the key to "on", put the shift selector into "R" and carefully check for voltage at the B/U lamp socket. If you have power than try a 3156. Even the wiring diagram below shows only a 1 filament bulb. Did they ever work since you had the truck? :)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my wife said they worked the first day i had it... then nothing. i have tried a 3156 and it didn't fit... the base had a wide side lug on it while the 3157 had the proper smaller lug... dont ask me but i think this is screwed up....

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well now i feel totally stupid.... i had checked the fuse when i first noticed they weren't working but i guess i didn't check it well enough.. the freakin fuse was blown.... god do i feel stupid!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a 97 Dakota with same problem. Changed the bulbs and it still blows the 15 amp fuse. :mad: ???
Still checking the trailer lights hook up.

Any other things to check??

Where is the PRNDL /reverse light swith???

Thanks
(Stumped)
Bubber
North Carolina

·
7,995 Posts
Bubber said:
I've got a 97 Dakota with same problem. Changed the bulbs and it still blows the 15 amp fuse. :mad: ???
Still checking the trailer lights hook up.

Any other things to check??

Where is the PRNDL /reverse light swith???

Thanks
(Stumped)
Bubber
North Carolina
Is this fuse #17 that keeps blowing?
Does it only blow when you put the truck in reverse?

G

·
The switch we are talking about is threaded into the transmission case. At least in the older trucks (not sure about the new ones). It is also called the Neutral Safety Switch. This switch serves two purposes. One, it prevents the engine from being started in any gear except Park or Neutral. When in Park or Neutral, the switch provides the ground for the Starter Relay. The second purpose is for providing electrical power to the Reverse lights. Check the wiring to this switch to make sure ther are no exposed wires which could be causing a short to ground, which will definitely blow fuses.

I had this problem. The wiring harness came in contact with the hot exhaust, burned off the insulation leaving bare wires touching grounded metal. Had to replace the burned wires and reposition the harness away from the hot exhaust.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts