Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
That is usually called a proportioning valve (it has other names) and yes it could be where your issue is. Is has a sliding "piston/valve" type thing inside that is normally centered. If you develop a leak in the front, it will slide to one end & block off fluid to the front, allowing you to still have rear brakes without loosing ALL the fluid. It just stops sending fluid to the half of the system that is leaking, uses only the non-leaking portion of the braking system at a reduced efficiency. This is know as a dual (front & rear) braking system, the M/C has two reservoirs. This system has been required on vehicles since 1966.

What you have to do, assuming all leaks are fixed, is to re-center that valve. This is accomplished by bleeding the brakes, in your case you need to start with the fronts. When you crack open a front bleeder the system should sense a "leak" in the front & the valve should head towards the end of the bore to block flow to the front, this should open up flow to the rear.

Bucky

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
thanks y’all. can i bypass it or will that have negative affects on the braking?
Well to bypass it you would either have to remove it & do some plumbing modification, or take the guts out of it. And I will admit to having done that once before on an old Plymouth RR I used to race around in.

When you do that then the master cylinder sends fluid to all four brakes at the same time & pressure. This may cause front to rear balance issues if you have discs on front & drums on rear as most of the 60's-80's vehicles came with. One axle may lock up before the other.

And you would lose the safety of the dual system, any leak would subject the whole hydraulic system to lose pressure, thus you'd have no brakes. Plus it may cause a liability/legality issue on a street driven rig.

Bucky

Reactions: neil4224
1 - 3 of 3 Posts