Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this engine was redone not long ago 500 to 1000 miles

well today the rockers started squeeking ......pulled the cover no oil .checked pass side thru fill cap.. its flowing .
50 lbs psi cold

how do the rockers get the oil .........its been taken apart and checked for alignment .the hole lines up

where do i start with the repair? could it be cam bearings not lined up? ???

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
lifter problems I would think. The oil comes through the filters up the pushrods to nthe rockers. Could also be a blocked oil passage. If it wasnt oiling that side of the engine I would think it would have made noise long before 500 to 1000 miles. I would think within 25 or 30 miles you would have heard it.
Wyatt

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
the engine has to be turnign for oil to get to the rockers. The oil goes thru the cam bearings and cam lobe. When you pre lube it, you have to turn the engine or you won't get oil to the rockers.

if it has been running, then you may have a cam bearing problem, or trash in the oil galleys.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there is no sign of any oil reaching the left side not even a dribble
i started it whith the cover off and the bolt out and nothing?

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
if yer gettginnothing with no bolt and the engine running, you got either a plugged oil galley/feed line, or you have a spun cam bearing (or it was put in wrong).

I hate to say it, but you are most likely gonna have to tear into it at least as far as pulling the cam.

G

·
While it could be a spun bearing or blockage as mentioned, since you already have the cover off, start with some easy stuff. You mentioned checking the arm for alignment. The acid test for this is to make sure the arm is installed correctly by checking for the index notch. This notch is on one end of all LA rocker shafts. This notch must be positioned correctly for proper lube. On the driver side, the notch must be down, and towards the front of the engine. On the passenger side, it must be down, and towards the rear of the engine. If this is correct, pop the end of the shaft out and check for clogs. Since no oil is getting in, I'd think it's either mis-alignment, some sort of blockage in the passage, or the cam bearing.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"""UPDTE""
the oil is routed thru one cam bearing to the rocker arm ,
thats all i figured out today. the mosquitos are out now ....

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
You might want to make sure the rocker shaft was put on in the right direction, front to back. If not, the oil holes will be at the incorrect angle and will reduce the flow of oil. Just one simple thing to check but I have seen it happen before.

Mac

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
it only has 50 psi cold? Mine has like 75 to 80

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Was everything put back on teh right side? If the arms, heads, or just about anything was switched (especially heads... heh heh) at rebuilt, you could have some problems, but I would think they would have been evident long ago...

Sorry, and good luck
derek

G

·
Helloooooo Mac? Are we reading? I already addressed that in reply #5.
Also, the oil restriction could be the improper bolt in the one place it must be installed properly. On the driver side, the rocker shaft has one hollow bolt holding the shaft in place. All others on that side are solid. This hollow bolt should be second from the front, as oil comes from the #2 cam journal. On the passenger side, the hollow bolt is second from the rear, as it recieves oil via #4 cam journal If a solid bolt is installed where the solid needs to be, no oil will flow.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I'm reading and I admit I don't know about notches, but in order to clarify for those of us not as up to date as you are I thought I would clarify. I admit I don't analyze every post especially when they are long, however, that would not be the first time that has occurred here. Won't be the last.

;D

gen1dak said:
Helloooooo Mac? Are we reading? I already addressed that in reply #5.
Also, the oil restriction could be the improper bolt in the one place it must be installed properly. On the driver side, the rocker shaft has one hollow bolt holding the shaft in place. All others on that side are solid. This hollow bolt should be second from the front, as oil comes from the #2 cam journal. On the passenger side, the hollow bolt is second from the rear, as it recieves oil via #4 cam journal If a solid bolt is installed where the solid needs to be, no oil will flow.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
hollow bolts ??? I have NO hollow bolts on my engine, and it gets oil just fine to both sides.

I think it is not the hollow bolt, but the fact that the hole the bolt goes in is bigger, and the oil flows around the bolt and gets into the shaft thru the larger hole inthe shaft.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I found a hollow bolt in my oil pan, the subject of a post about 2 months ago, with pictures but my rocker arms don't have hollow bolts either - at least not that I recall.

Mac

TheRamChargerMan said:
hollow bolts ??? I have NO hollow bolts on my engine, and it gets oil just fine to both sides.

I think it is not the hollow bolt, but the fact that the hole the bolt goes in is bigger, and the oil flows around the bolt and gets into the shaft thru the larger hole inthe shaft.

G

·
Okay, so here I am, pulling rocker arms to get a better picture of this whole mess. I see where the oil comes in at the aforementioned places, and skeets around the bolt into the larger opening in the rocker shaft (like RCMan was saying). Pulled rocker arms on 3 different 318's, not a hollow bolt in any of them. The notch thing is correct, but looks like I'm getting old articles melded together again. I know I read about a hollow bolt somewhere in these things....I think.....old files.....maybe I'll stumble onto it again in the next year or so. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
""""update#2 "''''
the whole problem was the cam bearing was not linend up properly .
so got a new bearing, made a cam bearing instalation tool and changed 2 cam bearings and now oils fine
and installed a double roller also........ since the last chain lasted just over a year

1 - 16 of 16 Posts