Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok Here is the deal I used to take my truck to a local inspection shop that didn't really inspect now he closed. So I need to find a full E-brake set up for my 72 W200 Crew and a Speedo cable that fits a divorced transfer NP205... been going off of GPS so Yes I've been driving safe...lol But I haven't been able to find either one in store or online. Every one I find is about 3 feet to short

Anyone know where to find these?

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
Why do you need to go to the t-case? You can run the cable to the trans and it will be fine. Except when you shift into low range and thats not gonna matter.

Ed

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is something I hadn't thought about since this is my first divorced transfercase.... How ever that still leaves the chance of the Prick inspector for the "its not hooked up properly"  and Still need the Ebrake/Parking brake set up.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
lopaka311 said:
That is something I hadn't thought about since this is my first divorced transfercase.... How ever that still leaves the chance of the Prick inspector for the "its not hooked up properly" and Still need the Ebrake/Parking brake set up.
how is HE gonna know its NOT hooked up right [ unless he,s 60 or 70 years old ] or happens to own a truck like yours

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I can't find the right Speedo cable then I will go with the Transmission option. But I was hoping somebody might have the know where to find the "stock parts I need.

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
Big rig type truck shops used to be able to make speedo cables up on the spot. If you can't find one that does, try looking up speedo and gauge shops.

Even try looking up speedometer cable extensions on E-bay.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
agreed they can be made to any lenght , the stuff comes in a simple "kit" and Large TRUCK repair shops all had them , so did TRUCK parts places .

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmmm... I'll check with the Truck repair shop over in Barre VT... that would be the closest one.

Any leads on the E-brake stuff?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
A W200 crew cab (short bed) would have a 149" wheelbase, correct? If so, that's the same as any club cab longbed, 2 or 4 wheel drive. The e-brake set-up should be the same for any of those, although the 100 series trucks wouldn't have the Dana 60 rear.

Bucky

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
The issue is going to be how the E-brake cable mounts to the brake backing plate, and the parking brake arm. The rest is a matter of the mounts, and getting the right length intermediate cable.

I bet you have the 12" X 2" drums, which was not used much after the early 70's. I don't know if you can swap to a newer backing plate or not. I would take the gamble, and hit up a junk yard, for all the parking brake stuff, the backing plates, and the brake arms off a later Dodge. If you have the 12" X 2&1/2" drums, then I would grab all the rear brake stuff, I would bet they will bolt up.

I wish I knew if the 2&1/2" brake stuff would bolt up to a 2" axle and hubs. From what I remember (about 20 yrs back), the 2" backing plate is relatively flat, and the 2&1/2" is dished to the inside a bit, so I would put my money on the stuff swapping, but I'm good at taking risks.

If you could pull a wheel, and take lots of pics from all sides, we could give a better judgement.

Also list what you have, e-brake pedal, front cable, brackets, ect. Pics would help also.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
maybe the internals are all still there , arm spreader etc , the cables , are simple enough , no mysterious stuff they are what ya see , some have a rocker adjuster , some just use a u shape plate to even the cables , and angle iron bolted to frame as an "end" point for the individual cables . 

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nothing is there I took out the last of the crumbs of the E brake when I had the brakes lock up this last summer... Cables fell apart and jammed Plus the Wheel cylinders in both rears let go... I would love the check the local junk yard thing but the closest junk yards don't have anything even in the 90's then I was looking when I went to Ayotts up in Maine and no Ebrake stuff left on any of their Dodges.... at least not the ones with the bumpers out of the ground.

So if anyone has a spare...lol or knows where to get them point away.

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
First, what time frame are you looking at?

Second, we need to know what rear brakes you have, and when you can, a bunch of pics. Then we can take a better guess if newer backing plates will even help you.

Do you still have the pedal, and front cable? or do you need all that also? Brackets?

Hopefully someone who has converted to rear disks, has saved their parts, and it will work out for you.

For others reading this thread, this is why I say to keep any parts removed. we see the same thing with emissions stuff, people trash a lot of the parts, then end up needing it because they moved to an emissions area, or the govt started emissions in their area.

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts
I have a '75 W200 Club Cab that also needs a new rear park brake cable. The problem is that the '72-'75 trucks used a different brake cable routing than the '76+, and I haven't found a source for the early rear brake cables. The '76+ park brake cables are routed down the left side of the truck, and are readily available. The '72-'75 park brake cables are routed down the center of the truck above the driveshaft.

It may be possible to convert entirely to the '76+ setup.

Or

Lokar makes a lot of universal brake cables that can be cut down to the necessary length. I don't know if it will work, but this is my plan.

If these aren't the correct cables I'd contact Lokar and see if they make something else.
Lokar cable at Summit Racing

Installation Instructions

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have till August for my next inspection.

The pedal is still there but the front part of the cable is frozen solid from rust.... or at least I hope it is and not the pedal.

I'll get some picks after the snow goes away a bit Right now it is snowing like a crazy.

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts
Rockauto.com has a 122" front parking brake cable listed for the 1972 W200.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tv_larsen said:
Rockauto.com has a 122" front parking brake cable listed for the 1972 W200.
Thank you Now to try and find everything else...lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.