Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here is the deal I was out at my local mud pit went down in a big hole and heard a loud pop or clunk and lost the 4x on the way out of it my buddy say he saw the front shaft spinning just so you know I have a Dana 44 hd front with warn locking hubs now I haven’t looked into this to much since it happened but I looked at both hubs and the "seem" to be working fine
So if I lock in my hubs and spin the front drive shaft the pas. Axle spins but the driver dose not spin also while in 4x there is no noticeable noises. So is it my pas. Hub or is it the front diff.
So any ideas on what’s wrong will help and thanks for the help in advanced

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
I would venture a guess and say it is probably the hub (non-spinning side). Is it a Warn Premium? They have a lifetime warranty, so they will replace it for you. You could also have busted the axle shaft.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Uhm, if your passenger aleshaft is spinning but your driver side does not, then why would it be the passenger side hub? I don't follow that logic. ???
Looking at your signature I venture to say you don't have a CAD D44 axle, right? So that's out. Any unusual noise when you lock the hubs and drive in 2WD?

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
You didn't mention if you have a CAD axke or not so heres what I think.

Assuming that your u-joints are fine, you shouldn't be able to turn the driveshaft by hand with both hubs locked. If you are, and one side is spinning, there is a problem with that side. Usually I would say in this case is, it's either a busted locking hub or you broke the stub shaft. If you had a CAD axle and the CAD broke, it's safe to say that you wouldn't see the axleshaft turn when you hand spun the axleshaft. In either case I say you have a bad locking hub.

Ed

·
Registered
810 Posts
Also, there is this thing called punctuation. Try it, it's free! ;D

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do not have a cad axle
Also I DONT MEAN TO BE RUDE ;D but I’ve never seen a cad axle that had locking hubs I was under the impression that the cad disconnected the axle in the diff so their is no need for manual hubs the hubs are always locked in and please correct me if I am wrong

The reason why I was guessing if it was the hub on the pas side (the one with the spinning axle with hubs locked in) is because if the hub is locked in. the axle should not move because the wheel is not moving do to the fact that the tire is on the ground and I am spinning the front d-shaft with my hand. This is a example lets say its locked into 4x at the t-case but the hubs are NOT locked in I would THINK that everything should spin but the wheels including the axle now I could be completely wrong with this but this is why I am asking for help ??? but how I get my logic dose not fix the problem and I need to hit the woods before I go crazy
So its sound like I have a hub problem and I don’t think I have Warn Premium the hubs are stock
So what would be the best way to test the hubs out I have took a brief look at them and they seem to be fine
Thanks again for the advice

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
mopar-man 3000 said:
I do not have a cad axle
Also I DONT MEAN TO BE RUDE ;D but I've never seen a cad axle that had locking hubs I was under the impression that the cad disconnected the axle in the diff so their is no need for manual hubs the hubs are always locked in and please correct me if I am wrong.
For the most part, you are correct. A CAD will not have lock out hubs, however the CAD axles will accept lock out hubs and some here will permently engage the CAD so that they do not have to worry about getting into 4wd with a system dependent on a vacuum. So I'm covering both bases because I don't know your truck or anything you might have done to it.

The reason why I was guessing if it was the hub on the pas side (the one with the spinning axle with hubs locked in) is because if the hub is locked in. the axle should not move because the wheel is not moving do to the fact that the tire is on the ground and I am spinning the front d-shaft with my hand. This is a example lets say its locked into 4x at the t-case but the hubs are NOT locked in I would THINK that everything should spin but the wheels including the axle now I could be completely wrong with this but this is why I am asking for help ??? but how I get my logic dose not fix the problem and I need to hit the woods before I go crazy
So its sound like I have a hub problem and I don't think I have Warn Premium the hubs are stock
So what would be the best way to test the hubs out I have took a brief look at them and they seem to be fine
Thanks again for the advice
The beast way to test a hub is what you already did. Spin the driveshaft by hand and observe the axle u-joints.

So what went wrong? You'll need to disassemble the hub. This will also reveal if you broke a stub shaft. Once you remove the hub and if the stub shaft is intact, you have a bad hub. There can be several reasons it doesn't work. You'll be looking for damage or lack of lube. Test the hub and turn the knob to see if it's sticking or damaged. If you find water in the hub, you might have corrosion and this can cause sticking. You may find that theres nothing wrong with the hub.

In Florida you're likely to spend alot of time driving thru deep water. Part of your preventive maintence routine should be to remove the hubs after each off road adventure, clean and repack them with grease. As a tip, go with a good high temp boat axle grease. This type of grease is water resistant, however you'll still need to repack after each submersion.

Ed

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RXT said:
mopar-man 3000 said:
I do not have a cad axle
Also I DONT MEAN TO BE RUDE ;D but I've never seen a cad axle that had locking hubs I was under the impression that the cad disconnected the axle in the diff so their is no need for manual hubs the hubs are always locked in and please correct me if I am wrong.
For the most part, you are correct. A CAD will not have lock out hubs, however the CAD axles will accept lock out hubs and some here will permently engage the CAD so that they do not have to worry about getting into 4wd with a system dependent on a vacuum. So I'm covering both bases because I don't know your truck or anything you might have done to it.

see you learn something new everyday ,thanks, i did not know that that a cad axle will accept lock out hubs that sounds like a good mod for the cad axle

well sometime here soon i'll have the time to pull the hubs and check things out beter and hopefully get this fixed and in the woods again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts