Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 90 rc aint sparkin n the fuel pump aint kickin on??????? whats wrong now?????? help me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Either your ASD (Auto Shut Down) relay is not going right, or your distributor pickup (Hall Effect Sensor as some call it) is shorting out.

Randall

·
Registered
512 Posts
Randall has good suggestions, You might also inspect the connections on your computer (bulkhead) plugs for corrosion. If you have a Clinton or factory service manual, check to see if the voltage for the coil and fuel pump might come from a common source and verify that there is voltage available to that source. If not try and trace it backwards until you find it.
This time of year moisture can cause a lot of obscure problems.

-Rod

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
changed the pick-up n still nuttin. wheres the asd???

·
Registered
0 Posts
It's on the driver's side fender. I don't have a diagram readily available, but I know Haynes and Chilton's has one. Just look for ASD relay in the index....

Randall

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
now i cant get my rc to show any codes????

·
Registered
230 Posts
this will sound very stupid but my dads 90 dodge van just did this a few weeks ago and while were trying to figure it out we put power to the positive side of the coil and it started right up.then it was fine on it's own for a few minutes and went back to the same shit.so he ended up running power right to the coil andhave ben driving it ever since with no problems

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm got the same deal, and according to the wiring diagrams, that + side of the coil, O2 sensor, Fuel pump, Fuel injectors (88 TBI). I get about 7 Ohms between the high side and the ground when the O2 sensor is plugged in and about 5 KOhms when it's unplugged, I naturally assumed that the O2 sensor was the problem and replaced it, but I get the same with the new one. The coil has tested good, and fuel pump and the fuel injectors are new, the new fuel pump has been tested, and the new fuel injectors were working fine prior to the truck shutting down. I'm starting to look at things like the ignition switch and the Computer.

I'm starting to get a little worried, my RC has never done anything like this before.

·
Registered
28 Posts
BTW, I've also checked the Auto Shutdown Relay and it is working. I ran the codes on my system, (i.e. the computer is still working, at least partially) and I received the codes 11, 12, 16, 55. I believe 55 indicates the end of the code list, but I've not had a chance to look up the other codes yet. If anyone knows these off the top of their head, this might provide an answer.

Oh, and NO, it's not for sale!

·
7,995 Posts
mig said:
BTW, I've also checked the Auto Shutdown Relay and it is working. I ran the codes on my system, (i.e. the computer is still working, at least partially) and I received the codes 11, 12, 16, 55. I believe 55 indicates the end of the code list, but I've not had a chance to look up the other codes yet. If anyone knows these off the top of their head, this might provide an answer.

Oh, and NO, it's not for sale!
Code 11 means a bad hall effect sensor in the distributor or the wiring to it.
Code 16 is a charging circuit failure. Fix the Code 11 first then clear the computer memory and see if Code 16 comes back.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So, you were right on that one, (as if I doubted you) you ARE da man, thanks. I have the codes, I just haven't had a chance to look at them. I am glad that this isn't my primary transport anymore, otherwise this would be ugly. I will provide updates as I progress, if I progress,

This repair has been really slow going, with the silly season and all.

·
7,995 Posts
The code 11 will NOT show up unless the engine WONT start and you disconnect the battery cable sometime after the NO-START appears. I just recently learned this and this is only on Mopar computers.

·
7,995 Posts
Rebel Ram said:
now i cant get my rc to show any codes????
Were you able to get codes before? sounds like you may have a ground/power problem at the computer or maybe a bad computer if the ASD relay is running correctly. It's the computers job to turn the ASD relay on for about 3 seconds after the key is truned to START and then the computer must see reference signals from the distributor to keep the ASD energized.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My '89 did the same thing a few weeks ago. you have to make sure the "Hall Effect" in the distributor is working. How many miles on the distributor? They wear out and sometimes they find DEAD spots in the distributor which causes the no start condition. If you replace the hall effect in the distributor and you swtill get nothing, replace the fuel-pump relay on the drivers side fender wall. there are three relays there. two metal and one plastic (asd) between them. The rear (closest to the driver) relay is the fuel-pump relay. If thay relay is not working, the car will not start. Check it out.

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
installed a new computer and a asd relay and still no spark no fuel pump???? im lost here

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
When you replaced the magnetic pickup (hall effect sensor) did you re-set the pickup-reluctor air gap? If the gap is too large it will not provide a strong enough signal to trigger a spark. The air gap should be .008", measured with a brass (or other non-magnetic) feeler gauge.

-SM

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
still no go with the rc. i have changed the comp and asd. all used but the truck ran that i got them outta. Still no codes???? im lost here need some help asap or if anyone wants to buy it let me know LOL (not for sale)

·
7,995 Posts
Put your hand on the ASD relay and have someone turn the key to the on position. Does the relay click on and off in about 3 seconds? The check engine light on the dashboard doent light up either when you turn the key to on?

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chump said:
Put your hand on the ASD relay and have someone turn the key to the on position. Does the relay click on and off in about 3 seconds? The check engine light on the dashboard doent light up either when you turn the key to on?
no check engine light when keyed up

1 - 20 of 25 Posts