Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.k. here we have an 89 ramcharger. the thing ran fine then all of a sudden nothing, so we did the checks to see if it was getting fuel. nope no fuel. new filter checked pressure. then we decided to check for spark no spark either? So is this a relay thing is there an ECM or something that controls both the fuel and the ignition spark? If so where is it? how do I test it? and what is it called?

Thanks Ya'll for coming through.. You always do.
Mid_Evil_thymz

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
IIRC there is an ASD (Auto-Shut-Down) relay on the driver's side inner fender (I know my dad's 90 has one, I think 89 does too). The ASD could be the problem, it does something like what you describe.
I don't have my manual here but I think it's the 2nd relay forward from the firewall, but I may be wrong. Try unplugging it/plugging it back in.
Other than that, I'd guess the computer being toast ....should be behind the battery along the inner fender. You'll see it

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Does the fuel pump cycle for a few seconds when you turn the key to the run position? Any fault codes?

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
I have to agree with cooter.
What was the result of the pressure check, nothing? Check the wiring back to the fuel tank for any broken or chaffed wires, I think it is just switched 12VDC.

·
7,995 Posts
91PowerRam said:
Does the fuel pump cycle for a few seconds when you turn the key to the run position? Any fault codes?
Yeah what he said and more. If you get NO pulses from the hall device in the distributor the SMEC will shut down the ASD relay...that means no fuel and no spark. Try this,,,disconnect the negative battery terminal for about 5 minutes then reconnect...try to start the engine...it should not start...now check for error codes in the computer and if a Code 11 shows up, you have a bad hall device or wiring to it. :)

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys I'll try this stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts