Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just started the rebuild on the 75, and this is really the first time I've given it any thorough inspection. I have no fan clutch. Is this normal for a 75, or has it been yarded off?

Is there any reason to add one? It seems to run just fine.
Should I just yard the whole fan and go electric?

Opinions please.
Thanks- Josh

·
Registered
603 Posts
I thought about leaving mine off and these are the reasons for not doing it:

Helps get the engine up to a better operating temp if the fan is not spinning all the time. Hence the engine runs better.

Helps with mileage and power since fan is not turning all the time.

Reason fot taking it out. It can't break if it is not there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
my 78 originally had a clutchless fan. made too much niose so i went to the clutch fan.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Clutches are designed to not let the fan turn any faster then 2600 rpm. So any engine speed above that the fan doesn't keep getting faster becoming more of an engine drag. They are also quieter since they don't go any faster then 2600.

·
Registered
73 Posts
magnum360 said:
my 78 originally had a clutchless fan. made too much niose so i went to the clutch fan.
Lol yeah some of em really make a lot o noise but I love roaring off from my house while it's still running makes me feel like that gutless 318 is doing somthing hehe lol Mike.

·
Registered
397 Posts
electric would be my choice ...i imagine it would need quite a large fan system ......i have a clutch on my 73 / 360
it works ok

·
Registered
584 Posts
My 75 360 PW did not have a fan clutch on it. If you decide to put one on, go with the "thermal" type. These work off of engine tempature, not RPM. Heres why, if your out wheelin and you are crawling in low range at high RPM, a "non thermal" fan clutch will shut down at higher rpm. This is where you need cooling, a thermal cluch will come on at a preset temp and avoid frying your engine. Kinda big deal out here where it can clear 100+ in the summer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.