Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the best way to get rid of all the computer garbage on my 81? It is a slant six with the spark control computer on the air cleaner. Do I just need a new carb or carb & distributor? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
mainly you will need the MP electronic ignition kit so you can get rid of the spark control crap. then it should just be an aircleaner swap. i'm not sure about the carb but i do know you will need the conversion to get it to run right....

·
Registered
30,039 Posts
definitly what he said / its the only way to go and get it right

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
and it so happens the 380 hp crate 360 from Mopar Perfoamance comes with the electronic ignition conversion kit

·
Registered
30,039 Posts
CHUMP,s part number is for the whole kit it includes-DIST-wire harness-ECM and ballast
for a scrounger like me you could get just the wiring harness part # P3690152 and then reuse yer old DIST and then source the rest of the parts out / if yer really on a budget find a late 70,s Dippy with slant six / the coil and ECM with ballast are all mounted about a foot from the DIST right next to each other / so you could scab all the parts and wire harness and its pretty easy to wire in

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Chump said:
http://ramchargercentral.com/boards/index.php?board=&action=howtoshow;id=49

Pretty much the same for your slant six except you'll need kit# P3690789 170-198-225 Slant 6 kit
Last I knew this kit was discontinued (about 18 months ago) and the few kits leftover in stock somewhere are getting very difficult to find. They pop up on Ebay about once a month, and usually go for over $200 :eek:

You can still get many of the parts individually, however IMO it is much easier to convert to an MSD ignition. The catch is is costs more.

To convert it, you WILL need a new carb and dist. The lean burn carb can be made to work to get you down the road, but it will never work properly. The lean burn dist will not work with std electronic ignition at all (no mech advance in the LB dist) You will also need a ballast resistor, ECU, and some wiring. I would also recommend a new coil.

An easier, and just as effective (if not better) electronic ignition conversion is to use GM HEI (blasphemy.....I know, but it works rather well) This conversion will still require a carb and std electronic dist w/ vacuum advance, but eliminates the need for a ballast resistor. Instead you would need a GM coil (12 volt, internally regulated) and GM HEI unit. I need to look for it, but I have access to the wiring diagram for this conversion if you are interested in going this route.

My advise would be to go with an MSD ignition. The misfire you (most likely) have at idle with your slant will be gone, it will start easier, and probably get better fuel mileage. MSD ignition requires the MSD box (eg MSD 6A or 6AL, approx $200), spiral core plug wires (approx $50-$70), MSD coil (not required, but recommended, approx $40) std electronic dist w/ vacuum advance (reman approx $40) and a new non-LB carb. The MSD needs one wire from your original ignition to hook it up: the coil + wire. All other wires come from the MSD box. (I.E. Easy, easy, easy hook-up)

If your emmissions laws allow it, I would highly recommend converting to a supersix (2 bbl) carb and intake. Complete supersix setups can be had on Ebay or browse the parts for sale sections at http://www.slantsix.com and http://www.slantsix.org There is always a supersix setup for sale at one of these sites, some more complete than others (requires a different tranny kickdown linkage if you have an auto tranny, or you can use a cable kickdown kit from Lokar For a complete supersix setup, a fair price is around $150. (Complete being intake, working rebuildable carb--Carter BBD or Holley 5200, tranny kickdown linkage, hardware, and pie tin) Converting to a supersix intake & carb will net you a little more power (approx 10-15 HP) and usually better mileage than the 1 bbl holley. The 'butt-dyno' will tell you you have a completely different engine under the hood ;D

Let us know which route you want to pursue. Dumping the LB ignition will be the best thing you ever do to your truck.

-SM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, so much info. Very much appreciated. I will definately look into the supersix setup. Any opinions on which carb? Will probably go with the MSD setup. I had no idea there was so much out there for the slant six. Thank very much for all your help.

·
Registered
535 Posts
gen1dak said:
Yep. It's offered as the Davis Unified Ignition.
http://www.performancedistributors.com/chryslerdui.htm
Yes sir i just bought a Davis distributor for my 360! All i had to do was beat the firewall back and run a 12 volt wire from the ignition side of the fusebox.They make them for the big blocks too and You wouldn't have to worry about the firewall! My truck runs beautiful and it cost me $373.00 with shipping.,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts