Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes i have a 1992 Dodge ram w250 with a  360 I recently bought after selling my Ram Charger like a fool . .  But I changed the socket and bulb and still nothing. . I crawled under the truck and looked at the wiring and noticed who ever owned the truck before looks like they spliced into the wiring harness towards the rear into one of the plug in connectors for the turn signal on the driver side and thats the brake light thats not work or turn signal..  Thanks I'd appreciate the help this only place  I could of think to come for help.  . Besides taking it to a shop or the dealer. .

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
Do you have a trailer hitch?

Which side does not work? Im guessing the right rear? Or none of the rear.
Your wire harness for your rear lights runs down one side of the truck then branches off to the other tailight. If that harness has been breached as is common with cheap wiring plugs for trailers they use a scotchlock. That can corrode the connection and cause your problems.

You can disconnect the harness a little ways up the frame and get a junk yard one in better condition and plug it in and zip tie it back up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I do have a hitch and wires do look pretty corroded where it goes to the 7 way connector for a trialer. I was thinking about replacing the whole wiring system for the hitch but how far up on the frame are you talking pass the gas tank  ? Because I was looking today trying to see how far it went up on the frame to where I could unplug it and replace the factorys wiring harness for the tail lights and turn signals along with a new trailer hitch wiring harness.. An it is the Driver side that doesn't work - Right side does both the brake light and turn signal on the passenger side works but not on the drivers side..

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
Cant remember how far. You have to follow it till you find a plug.

check and see where your grounds are. make sure they are good. Are there any bare or exposed wires?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I found 2.. One of the wires going to the 7 way trailer plug in and one kind of exposed or frayed on the factorys wiring harness  .  .  Witch looks like what goes to the driver side tail light . . Oh and I do have running lights on boths sides..

·
Registered
29,359 Posts
email me for the wiring diagrams and include all truck info

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
The rear lighting harness should be one piece all the way up to the firewall where it plugs into the wiring there......at least thats the way all my trucks have been. 

I would just cut back a couple inches from where the crappy splices are and properly redo the splices properly especially if you plan on keeping the trailer wiring anyway.  If you hadn't figured out yet the brake and signal share the same wire so you're just dealing with a single broken wire which you've already found.

G

·
My rc did the same thing, except on the passenger side. We'd dropped the tank to replace a fuel line and when we put the tank back in, it pinched a wire, causing it to short out. Have you had your spare tire out recently?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I'm gonna have it fixed Friday .. THanks for the help. . . And I think who ever had it before dropped the tank and pinched the wires prolly why my gas gauge  dont  either???? lol

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've found out that there are alot of Dodges that don't have working fuel guages, don't feel bad, just call it 'a dodge thing'!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts