1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Ground?

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
If the truck won't start w/the key either, thats neutral safety switch (harness could've come unplugged).
I'd look for grounds too or any smashed wires

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hell, my truck started and it was still a bad nuetral safety switch. It's located on the transmission dude! Hope you get it fixed!

Rodney

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I've started trucks too w/ Neutral switches that had come unplugged....jumping the starter relay does the trick :)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The reverse side of the switch could be bad while the park/neutral side is still good.. To check it, pull the electric connector off (it's the 3 pin connector on the front of the tranny), and with the tranny in reverse (and the e-brake on and blocks under the wheels ;D ) check for continuity between the outer two terminals. If there isn't, the switch is bad. If there is, the problem is elsewhere. The switch would be the prime suspect though. Let us know

Welcome to the site, and don't forget to fill out the rest of your profile and join the NJ chapter!

Matt {peace}

G

·
If your tail lights and turn signals work, your grounds are likely okay. I would suspect either the neutral safety switch or the comb linkage inside the tranny. Disconnect the plug to the neutral safety switch. With the key to on and the gear shift in reverse (engine not running of course!), you should have 12 volts at one of the wires on the connector. If so, using a piece of wire, jump this 12 volts to the other wire and check the reverse lights.

Could also be that the comb linkage inside the tranny is not depressing the plunger on the neutral safety switch. Good luck with it, less us know what you find out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
TaZMaNiaK said:
The reverse side of the switch could be bad while the park/neutral side is still good.. To check it, pull the electric connector off (it's the 3 pin connector on the front of the tranny), and with the tranny in reverse (and the e-brake on and blocks under the wheels ;D ) check for continuity between the outer two terminals. If there isn't, the switch is bad. If there is, the problem is elsewhere. The switch would be the prime suspect though. Let us know

Welcome to the site, and don't forget to fill out the rest of your profile and join the NJ chapter!

Matt {peace}
The previous (card-carrying idiot) owners of my '83 Ramcharger disconnected these wires from the transmission (727), and I don't know which goes where. Can you give me any guidance on pinouts? I'm assuming from your post here that one of the outer pins is the power input, and the other outer pin goes to the backup lights, so the center must be for the neutral safety switch... am I right?

G

·
I'll check the wiring diagram to be sure but that sounds right. You say the previous owners disconnected the wires. Did they leave the wires in the connector (just dosconnected the connector (I hope). If so, the connector really only goes on one way. Two wires are for the reverse lights. One wire is hot, the other completes the circuit to the reverse lights when you put the gear selector in reverse. The third wire provides a ground to the starter relay. This prevents the truck from being started in any position other than "Park" and "Neutral".

So, if the wires are disconnected at the tranny, they must have picked up a ground for the starter relay someplace else. This means (have you ever tried to?) that your RC will start in any gear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Moose said:
I'll check the wiring diagram to be sure but that sounds right. You say the previous owners disconnected the wires. Did they leave the wires in the connector (just dosconnected the connector (I hope). If so, the connector really only goes on one way. Two wires are for the reverse lights. One wire is hot, the other completes the circuit to the reverse lights when you put the gear selector in reverse. The third wire provides a ground to the starter relay. This prevents the truck from being started in any position other than "Park" and "Neutral".

So, if the wires are disconnected at the tranny, they must have picked up a ground for the starter relay someplace else. This means (have you ever tried to?) that your RC will start in any gear.
The three wires are all there, but the connector that they went in is gone (I didn't even know there was one originally). And yes, it does start in any gear, which I prefer. I should be able to figure it out with the information you all have provided so far, but if you could post what you find from the wiring diagram that would be great. Thanks!

G

·
Nope. The switch threads in from outide the tranny. You just put a big socket on it and back it out. The bad news is that all the tranny fluid will drain out to so, use a high capacity drain pan to catch the fluid as it comes puring out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, I finally got around to fixing this. Thanks for all the help. I have one piece of advice for others who have this problem: install the new switch, leave the trans pan off and shift into Reverse (DON'T start the engine of course!!!) and check to make sure the switch is not too far in so that it's not being depressed properly. Then you won't have to do this job twice like I did. :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts