Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep getting asked about what I did to upgrade my alternator and I couldn't find the original posting I did so I'll post some more pictures here. I've been asked about the lower bracket. I had to extend the factory original bracket and had to remove some material on the upper edge to clearance the alternator and I had to use a small spacer on the lower bolt. (I also need to use a thicker washer on the lower bolt). The other bracket that holds the alternator to the water pump is stock. Excuse the filthy engine. I was out in the bush. I also need to paint the bracket one day. My buddy who works at a local alternator and starter rebuild shop keeps telling me that a single V belt will not turn a 120 amp alternator without slipping and squealing. I'm here to prove that myth wrong. My alternator does not slip nor squeal and never has. Cheers

Attachments

Super Moderator
The only reason your single belt has not slipped is because you haven't pushed the alternator to it's capacity.聽 Just about any alternator charging 90A or more will slip with a single belt.聽 If you never get to the point that you need that much power, it will never slip, but then it's sort of a useless upgrade if it can't supply the extra power the swap is intended to provide.聽 But yes, all the high amp alternators and A/C compressors have dual belts from the factory for a very good reason.

Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, you are correct. I should have stated that. I have a stereo and a pair of 4" round auxiliary off-road lights and it never squeals even when driving at night with the lights, heat, wipers and stereo all on.

Attachments

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The nicest thing about the alternator swap is that my lights don't dim at the stop lights anymore nor do they dance to the beat of my music.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.