Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the 360 in my power wagon was built up some years ago by another owner. Then the last owner, a FORD guy, just let the truck sit around in his driveway and only drove it once and a while, and as a result now it has a dead cylinder and sometimes it runs well and sometimes it dosn't. So, I'm thinking of swapping engines, and I figure if I'm going to do all the work of swapping engines, I might as well be putting in a better engine then the 1978 360. So, what should I be looking for? Are there any years that have a fuel inj. setup thats desirable for off roading? I know the magnum 360 or 318 would be king, but those are kinda hard to find and not espicially cheap. So, tell me what ya think...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,581 Posts
if u want efi, the first dodge motor with one was a 88 318, or an 89 360. u can rebuild the one u have and add the TBI compenents from a 89 also.

Duane
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,862 Posts
Hemi?? You KNOW you will have the 1st one! lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,070 Posts
What cylinder is dead and how or why is it dead is it from rings is it from valves
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,750 Posts
the latest Hot Rod I got in the mail has an article on some guy putting a new 5.7L hemi into an older Challenger if I remember right. May be some usefull information in there.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,070 Posts
There is alot of pricey work in that challenger for that motor, it was in a mag about a year ago it got very expensive
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,230 Posts
OK, a reply from a guy that is doing exactly what you are talking about.
I am bolting a '94 360 Magnum engine into my '85 Ramcharger and pulling my sick 360 LA engine out.
I scored the engine complete with ALL accessories for $550.
I was over at 100K miles but I removed the oil pan and found it extremely clean, not a bit of sludge anywhere. The compress test was right on the money on all cylinders.
The beauty is that is nice tight single serpentine belt drive on the accessories. Making the EFI work is a future project and it doesn't fit into my time frame of having this thing back on the road by the spring.
So, I am removing the EFI barrel intake and replace it with a MP carb intake.
What you want is the MoPar Performance P5007381 intake.
It is a dual plane stock performance intake. Don't go with the Edelbrock RPM made for this swap, it is a 1500 RPM + intake made for hot rodding with higher compression and a bigger cam, and a higher stall converter. Not what you want for a low end torque making 4x4. I plan to top this with a rebuilt ThermoQuad carb. That will give me good mileage with excellent low end torque because of the small primaries.
You will need to swap your old distributor back in because the EFI one doesn't have vacuum advance.
Other than that it is a pretty stright forward bolt-up.
If you can find a Magnum with all accessories in tact jump on it! The way they bolt up is far superior than the old "guess a bracket" LA engines.
OH, you will need to swap to a electric fuel pump since a late model Magnum doesn't have a provision for a mechanical one. I recommend a Carter P4070. Summit has them for $60. I use this one on the last couple hot rod cars I had and they are extremely reliable.

OH, and to be more on target relating to your fuel injection question, EFI is ideal for off roading. It doesn't have the harsh angle of attack problems that a carb does, it is superior in low end torque making and throttle response, and it gets better overall mileage, and since it in electronic system relying on several sensor inputs it is self tuning. Not bad at all.
The problem is adapting one of these things to a older carbed truck is a daunting task. Even if you can score all the bolt-on parts to a late model EFI setup the system will need several inputs from sensors that your vehicle just does not have.
Now, bolting on the extras so you can adapt it to your older vehicle that much of a problems BUT, factory EFI setups don't like to depart from factory perameters. If there is a problem anywhere it will run like crap. If it isn't a project that you are willing to invest many, many, hours in getting all the bugs worked out you need to swap to a carb setup.
Of course there are aftermarket EFI systems you can buy that are bolt up. But they have a $2000 price tag and I am one of those guys that doesn't have that kind of bread to spare.




 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,258 Posts
Murdoc79RC said:
I know the magnum 360 or 318 would be king, but those are kinda hard to find and not espicially cheap. So, tell me what ya think...
I think they have built millions of 318 and 360 Magnums since 1992 and it wouldn't be very hard to find one or very expensive to buy one.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,070 Posts
ramchargertodd said:
Don't go with the Edelbrock RPM made for this swap, it is a 1500 RPM + intake made for hot rodding with higher compression and a bigger cam, and a higher stall converter. Not what you want for a low end torque making 4x4.
Why do people say this, i have this intake and make more low end then it did with the factory 4 barrel everyone says is so great, and even better mid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,230 Posts
Evildriver-3 said:
ramchargertodd said:
Don't go with the Edelbrock RPM made for this swap, it is a 1500 RPM + intake made for hot rodding with higher compression and a bigger cam, and a higher stall converter. Not what you want for a low end torque making 4x4.
Why do people say this, i have this intake and make more low end then it did with the factory 4 barrel everyone says is so great, and even better mid.
Well, that is what tech support at Edelbrock told me when I inquired about that intake for my Magnum 360.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Of course there are aftermarket EFI systems you can buy that are bolt up. But they have a $2000 price tag and I am one of those guys that doesn't have that kind of bread to spare.
Yeah, I'm accually thinking about the Holley Pro-jection. I think its like $800 new, or $300 to $400 used, about the same as a truck avenger carb new.
Wonder if it would be possible to use MegaSquirt with the magnum's fuel injection. What kinda EFI do they have? Is it still a TBI?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,993 Posts
The magnum engines are Multi Port Fuel Injected.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,794 Posts
I'd pull the valve cover's first, you could just have a stuck valve... I'm just saying this in the interest of saving cash. EFI is definately nice, but not a must-have.
-Steve C.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,070 Posts
Evildriver-3 said:
What cylinder is dead and how or why is it dead is it from rings is it from valves
Yeah how about that question, this is just as bad as talking to a wall, same waste of time just done differently
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,794 Posts
Evildriver-3 said:
Evildriver-3 said:
What cylinder is dead and how or why is it dead is it from rings is it from valves
Yeah how about that question, this is just as bad as talking to a wall, same waste of time just done differently
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Hook up a vacume tester if you aren't sure what exactly is wrong. Could just be an ignition miss, or something else trivial like that.
-Steve C.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
whlnwgn said:
Evildriver-3 said:
Evildriver-3 said:
What cylinder is dead and how or why is it dead is it from rings is it from valves
Yeah how about that question, this is just as bad as talking to a wall, same waste of time just done differently
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Hook up a vacume tester if you aren't sure what exactly is wrong. Could just be an ignition miss, or something else trivial like that.
-Steve C.
Well, it was when I did a compression test, we found that all the cylinders were about the same except #3, it had I think 30 psi as opposed to like 150 on the rest. We checked out the valves and rockers, and that one appears to be opening and closing fine. We were going to make an air fitting to see if we could figure out where the air is leaking but we never got around to that. I was just thinking that since my truck is already apart and I'm going to buy a new trans. I could probably get a engine that'll run fine and have some more power from the get go for just a little more money.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top