Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 ram 1/2 ton. It has a 318 that is dieing a slow but certain death. The tranny is new this past year. I have an opportunity to pick up a 360 from a 98 1/2 ton. Both have automatic trannys. ( the 360's tranny is junk) The computer is coming with the engine.

Now the questions. Will it just be a matter of getting a flex plate to balance the 360 externally? Or should I just get a new torque converter? any suggestions on where to pick either one up? (fav web site..)

What else might I be looking at that I just haven't read or thought about? Thanks!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Deff need an externally ballanced flex plate or converter for the 360. If you wanted to go cheap just flush and reuse the converter from the 360's trans.
Im pretty sure you will need a different engine mount on one of the sides, poss both.
You should stay with your current PCM if both are stock because the 5.2 PCM has a little hotter spark setting built into it.
Make sure to use all you sensors from the 5.2 and you should be ready to rock!

Good luck.

G

·
You're really straddling the fence here. Starting in 1996, DC changed the torque converter/flexplate setup. Now, from some point in '96, they went to a zero-balance torque converter on the 360, like the 318 has had all along. The balance weights formerly on the converter (for the 360) were moved to the flexplate. Easy, right? Nope. The 4-bolt pattern on the flexplate/torque converter is now perfectly even in spacing, so it won't fit the pre-'96's. These '96 and up units have a 90 degree sticker on them to indicate the difference. This is important in older models because the newer setup is used for warranty work. The newer setup will retrofit to older units is done as a unit.....the bolt pattern to the crank is the same. So, you can use the 90 degree '96-up setup, or the pre-'96 flexplate/converter as a pair, or any 318 setup when weights are added for the 360.
Also, while you will be getting the computer, it won't just bolt in place of your '95. The '96 and up units are OBDII, and this is much more involved.

Further, the '96 and up trannys use electronic valve bodies, which require the computer for all their action. You have a real mess here. I should know. I did the same thing when I got my engine a couple years ago. The tranny came with it, essentially free. It was then that I found all the changes. "They" say these RE trannys can't be reverse-engineered to the pre-96 hydraulics, but "they" also said you couldn't use Magnum heads on LA engines. Now "they" sell the Magnum heads for LA conversions. I do know that you will need the overdrive case for pre-'96, as well as the hydraulic governor, pre-'96 output shaft, pre-'96 valve body, and overdrive piston retainer. Basically, put all the good parts from the newer tranny overdrive into your '95 overdrive, use the '95 housing, and all the '95 hydraulic parts. You'll see as you get into it. Swap in a pre'96 valvebody and, well, I don't know yet. Haven't finished mine. Looking at all the info I have, it should work. I'm using the overdrive parts from my original A500 to retrofit the 2001 46RE I have. You could try to wire the OBDII into your setup, but that's one helluva trick. Worse come to worse, we can line 'em up, drop the hammer, and see who blows up first! Good luck.

G

·
Engine mounts won't matter if you're mounting Magnum-style. Otherwise, yeah, the front ears are different and you will need a 360 mount, or some shims to take up the slack.

G

·
Man, I really gotta start reading more closely. For some reason I was thinking you were using the '98 tranny. Okay, no, the 318 tranny should be fine. Just get the '95 or earlier torque converter for 360 and use your 318 flexplate, or use the flexplate and TC from the 318, and have the 318 TC balanced for 360 Magnum.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
There is alot of other mods that need to be done to run the magnum fuel injected engine. Make sure you to get the entire wiring harness. i mean everything even inside the cab or better yet the cab itself so you can pick it apart. You picked a bad year of doner vehicle. To make OBD II happy you need all the sensors for the cats and the wiring to check codes underneath the dash and a check engine light. Life would be alot easier to get a magnum 4 bbl manifold

G

·
It looks like he already has all he needs for the engine in that the recipient vehicle is a '95 Magnum van. Other than an OBDI computer for 360, it's pretty much a direct swap for the engines.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Wow i was really tired this morning when I wrote that. I thought he said 85 not 95. So disregard most of what i said. 96 was the first year for the OBD II which does not have egr valve but has more oxygen sensors.

G

·
chrysler300le said:
Wow i was really tired this morning when I wrote that. I thought he said 85 not 95. So disregard most of what i said. 96 was the first year for the OBD II which does not have egr valve but has more oxygen sensors.
Looks like we're in the same boat on this thread. :-\

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok with the mass confusion I let the '98 360 go away. (maybe I should'nt have) Now I have a 360 from a 95 I am looking at. Same year as my truck with the 318. I need a fresh look at what i might be up against to swap the 318 out for the 360. Thanks Chris

G

·
Okay. Computer for 360 to run properly. It'll run with 318 computer, but it won't perform well. Everything else will bolt up. As for the tranny....if you got a new torque converter with it last year, you'll need to get weight added to be properly balanced for the 360. Or, get a converter for a pre-96 360 Magnum and it'll have the proper balance. Either way you'll be able to use the 318 flexplate. Much easier swap than with the '98.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts