Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 92 rc with 360 tbi. problem i am having is it shakes real bad at startup and i smell gas like it is running rich. if i rev it up it smokes like a diesel. i have got several code 51's.
another thing i have noticed is with the alt. if i turn on all acc's the needle pulses back and forth. i do have a custom sound system in it.
would like to get her back on the road.
BTW, best site ever :D ;D
thanks

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
code 51 is the O2 sensor. Have you replaced it yet?
Regarding your alternator: how many accessories are we talking about? Total amp that is? How much is your alternator rated for? If you have a everything on and you're using 100amps, but your alternator only makes 60 peak, then you are in trouble :)

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
do the math thing...add up all the Watts you're using, assuming you know the stuff for your custom sound etc and then divide the whole thing by 12V, that'll give you the Amps.
By the way: what does your statement in the initial post mean: I've gotten several code 51's....what's several mean? The O2 acts as the lean-rich switch to your SMEC unit from what I know.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
before i parked it to work on it every time i drive the check engine light would come on. pull the codes (#51)

G

·
Mileage on the current O2 sensor. They start fading around 40,000 miles.I know that's a lot for 1 year, but I've done it before. You?

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
How is the wiring to the O2 sensor? Did you replace it or did you have it done?

·
7,995 Posts
Check your ignition system out also especially the cap and rotor for burning and the plug/coil wires. Sounds like you are getting too much fuel or your not burning what you have. Maybe a bad coolant temp sensor, injector?

Code 51 O2 signal below center...
Oxygen sensor signal indicates lean fuel/air ratio condition during engine operation.

or

Adaptive memory at rich limit...
Added adaptive memory at rich limit.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
going to get a O2 sensor and CTS this week and try that. cap, rotor, plugs and wires are less than 1year old.
thanks for the info

1 - 10 of 10 Posts