Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I am a newbie to the world of Ramchargers, but I own two. My 87 2WD 150 I want to make into a Pro Street look truck that will still tow my trailer. It has a 360/5.9l 4BBL(federal) acording to the Vin. My question is what rear end does it have and what trans. It needs a new carb or a rebuild and I thought I would stir things up by asking what the best carb id for a stock engine for street use.
The next question is a bit tougher. I want to tub the back and put some 31 x 18.8 x 15 Sportsman tires on the back. The question is, since I am going to have to narrow the rear end (I will install Posi at that time) and install a new rear sub-frame, what suspension system would work best. I want the thing to handle faily well and ride somewhat smooth as I will be towing a-lot. Would a 4 like work or laderbars or what. I will install disc brakes on the rear also.
Thanks ;D

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I would not tow with a tubbed vehicle.
\
it has a 9 1/4 corporate rear, and probably a 727 lock up trans, cabr would be somethign around 600-625. I prefer the carter afb 625 for that application

if you get rear discs, make sure you read all the posts inthe parts review/service review section. Not all of us have had good success with the only people who make the kits for these rears.

Again, I would not tow with anything that had ladderbars or a 4 link rear.

·
2,317 Posts
if you already have a 4bbl manifold i would go with the cater or elde. if you want to tow. when i finish my club cab, im going to move the springs to inside the frame. box in the frame and take the driver side hangers and springs and move to the inside of the pass side and vise versa. if you measure the frame to quater you will see you can fit a big tire. and keeping the rear springs, still ride good and tow. just another idea.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 77 D150 short bed & I was able to fit 33X19.5 Micky's on the back by moving my springs under the frame, mounting the springs under the dif & splitting the factory tubs. If I were you I would put as tall a tire as they make because it takes a tall tire to fill the wheel well & make it look right (in my openion) & I would utilize the original springs because it's cheap & they work, you can tow with this set up with no problem. If you need pics or some drawings of the brackets I made let me know. Ferlin

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hey Neighbor, welcome to the best Mopar Truck site in the world. Hate to pop your bubble, but Pro-street and towing to me means - two different trucks. If you have two, why not max out the potential of each of them? One for towing, and one to hot rod with. Probably why I have three trucks. I won't be towing much with my HP Ramcharger. I don't know if I would call it pro-street, but it's pretty darn quick for a 4WD slug.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
ok u are going to install rear clip narrowed axles and 31x18" meat on a stocke engine truck?

that just does not make sense.

your carburetor is most likley a GM rochester quarda jet. nhra list a Dodge Thermoquad as the carb used in 87 but i think thats incorrect.

if u have the rottenchester ur carb is most likley in the 750-800 cfm range.

if it is a thermoquad it is most likley an 800cfm.

thats what they were rated from factory. but they both have air doors which prevent carb from drawing more air than engine uses.

either carb is fine or if ya wanna spend more money than a ebrock or holley is suitable as well.

some people are impatient and cannot tune an engine therefore they get pissed off at factory spread bore carburetors.

which brings to next point. the intake is designed for a spread bore carburetor. the ebrock performer is square bore. requires adapter. many people accuse the square bore to spread bore adapter of being leak prone to vacuum.

ok as mentioned ya have a 727 and either a 8.25 or a 9.25 (count bolts on diff cover)

those sportsman tires arent exactly suited to daily driven tow rig. soft rubber no go on tow rig.

narrowing either factory rear axle is waste of time and money (IMHO) i would rather locate a ferd axle.

i know im gonna get a beating for this but ferd axle is cheap and easy. not stronger but cheaper.

ferd 9" came in many vehicles. you may find one narrow enough not to need cutting. they come in 2 bolt patterns, both of which are used on dodge trucks.

maybe u could simply lower your rig a notch to fill in the wheel wells.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Joe,
I do not have the money to installt he killer engine at first. I also assumed that I would have to sub-frame it, but as I learned, I don't. The 18.8 was a typo by me, they are 14.5 and they are Hoosier Pro street tire that are true steel belted radials that can be towed with. I can move the springs inboard and have plenty of room for the 14.5s and could use 18.5s with a little work. I like your idea about the 9" ford as I have several laying around. The transmission is next on the list and I have procured a B&M shift improver kit and some beef up parts. I have the Quadrajet carburator and I think I will go with a spred bore and a dual plane intake.
Thanks for your feed back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all of you for so much help. I will post the pictures of the start and the process. Ramjet, I am looking to sell the 4wd if you know of anyone local that is looking. I think I can build a "Pro Street" look with out losing the ability to tow. I don't plan in little skinnies up front, probably 225/65 x 15s and will add more stabilizer bar. I will retain the 360, but want to build a blower motor with a 6-71 and a single 4 bbl. What am I towing? My front engine dragster and my rear engine dragster. Thanks again. Keep the info comming though, I am new to the Ramcharger but very much enjoy it.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
oic what ur tryin to do.

what bolt pattern are your ferd 9" are any of them close to narrow enough?

if you have the car 9" with 4.5" bolt pattern you ll need to change that up front.

a trip to autozone for some "d100 rotors for a 83 dodge" should do the trick as far as getting you a smaller bolt pattern up front.

·
Registered
97 Posts
hey vike, what is the specs on the 4wd you're wanting to sell? i am here in midland

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chargerup92,
The VIN decoder yeilds this:
3 Country of Origin Mexico
B Make Dodge
4 Type of Vehicle Multi purpose vehicle
M Truck Line 4wd
1 Series 150
7 Body Step Van or Sport Utility for 90-93
Y Engine 318/5.2-EFI
3 VIN Verification
K Model Year 89
M Assembly Plant Lago Alberto Assembly
957188 Sequential Serial Number
It is red with a red interior that is in OK condition. The body has some rust through. The window motors need to be replaces. The engine runs but smokes black and blue. I think the the cat is rusted out and the O2 sensor isn't working, therfore it runs very rich. the stearing universal is worn out so it handles like a row-boat, but I have the rebuild kit. I also have headers and an assortment of other parts. Would like to get 800. Talk to me. Don

1 - 12 of 12 Posts