Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new Trailduster owner and am in the process of putting the pieces back together, however, the one piece I want to get off, ,the top, I can't figure it out.

Please let me know if you know how to get it off. I can't find levers, bolts, anything.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Welcome to the pleasures of Plymouth ownership. We are the few. As for the top there are some bolts under the bed rail below the side windows. I think there is two on each side. Then look above the windshield on the inside and there are some plastic caps hiding the bolts for the front. Pop those caps and undo the bolts. Make sure you have a few friends and a six pack or three because this mother is really heavy. Install is the opposite. There is a great How-To in the How-To section on putting it back on and sealing against leakage. The weatherstrip for the front is no longer available. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Also be prepared for a little argument from the weather stripping if the top has not been off for awhile. When I first popped the top on my '79 RC, I could have swore we left some bolts in. With me standing inside the truck, putting my back into the top and pushing, it finally let go with a BIG crack (the top, not my back). Be sure to save all the bolts and washers and the front plugs, and don't break the rear hatch!

While we're on the subject, has anyone ever seen the "roof removal tool package" that is supposed to be in the glove box? It mentions it on the tag on the driver's sun visor, but I've never seen one (even on 'ebay'!). I suppose it was just a cheapie wrench and maybe a gadget to remove the front plugs.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I haven't seen it but I think it had a new front weatherstrip too. I may be wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow - thanks for the unbelievably quick help...I found them - though it took a little looking.
I am proud to be one of the few Plymouth owners - I think it is a car with more character than most on the road...if I can get the piece of $#!* put together and fix the rust issues it'll be great. Fortunately I just found a running parts car so I should be able to find what I need.

Any hints you all have for a new owner I would love to hear them - I'll be perusing the site for a while now to see what I can find.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
First thing, change all the fluids...ALL of them. Second, give it a good tune up, plugs (I recommend Bosch Platinums-worth the money), wires, cap & rotor, new air cleaner and then put the timing light to it. If the engine is in good shape, I'd Prolong it. Then you can get around to all of the other extracuricular(sp?) stuff. I have the same problem with rust and ill fittng body panels, I hate it and there isn't much I can do about it unless I win the Idaho Lottery...

Yeah, right...I couldn't win VD from a crack whore...

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
the top was never off my 80 rc i'm parting out so when we went to remove it we had to pry gently in some spots with a tire iron and it popped right off

welcome to the site by the way. i also have a '80 trail duster i'm fixing up

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Did I read that corectly you cant get a new front seal!?? Damb mines missing entirely how do I seal that gap, or do I deal with taking a shower every time it rains and not take it north durring winter?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
4 dealerships in 2 states say it is no longer available. If I am wrong, please correct me. There is a great How-To in the How-To section that covers re-installing the top to get it to seal. I plan on trying it when I get around to taking off and putting back on mine.

Geez...that was some poor grammar....damn beer..........

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I take mine off every year and when I put it back on I go to the RV store and get some double sided camper tape, has worked fine with no leaks if you put it on good enough. They also have some mastik tape that I thought about trying, We used it to seal up the seams when we put a new rubber roof on an RV. it stays soft and seals out the water.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Do you use the camper tape for the front too? If so I think it sounds like a great and easy idea. Of course the problem is some tops don't fit as well as others...they are Dodges after all :D

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
JayBear88 said:
Do you use the camper tape for the front too? If so I think it sounds like a great and easy idea. Of course the problem is some tops don't fit as well as others...they are Dodges after all :D
Yes, but last fall I did not cut my strips long enough and had a leak when it rained.( I also put on a hardtop from a 79 so it probably didnt fit up like my original hardtop did.) The mastik tape would be ideal for this because it is soft and could be molded around the bolt holes. Like I said we used mastik tape to seal the rubber roofs on RVs, so I think it would be great for these tops.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts