Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just making a thread to say hi to everybody and introduce my self.  My name is nice and i like to fix stuff and do the impossible.  I have just acquired a 1990 ramcharger, i'll have pictures sometime.  It was hit in the driver side rear and im in the process of figuring out what exactly is wrong with it and fix it.  So far the spring is broken ( i have an airbag idea for that ;))  The rear may need to be replaced, i haven't dug into it yet.  the trans has a crack just before the transfer case, hopefully i can replace that section, haven't looked at it too well.  plan to pull the trans next weekend and get it up on jack stands in the next few days.

IDK what else to say its been a loooong day and i have a looooooonger day ahead of me tomorrow.  So thanks for reading my rant and hope to get to know some of you.
Nick

·
Registered
52,720 Posts
Welcome to the KNUTTHOUSE! {wave}

There's more info than your brain can hold here. Lots of great people and help anytime you need it for just about anything.

We need pics of the RC ! ;D

{ttiwwop}

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
welcome

and that piece just before the transfercase might be the adaptor between the transfercase and the tranny.

you will find a bottomless well of knowledge here about dodge. and a rather deep well of knowledge on all other make of vehicles.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As for pictures... i'll do 1000x better Possible candidate for Cummins swap and another video of the thing being moved. Ramcharger almost off loaded

As for the trans, i hope its something i can bolt back in, i hate doing trans work. I'm in the middle of removing the busted spring and supporting the truck weight with some air bags, need to make a lower bracket for the bag to mount to.

I'll see if i can get some light under the truck and i'll stick another video up of that and you guys can let me know what you think.

The reason for all the videos is because my camera is MIA and doesn't have batteries anyways. I have one of those flip video cameras and they are just soo easy to use its hard not to.

·
Registered
52,720 Posts
Wow you need a bigger trailer or don't load front so far next time!  :eek: ;D

The trans could be like was said above the mounting/mating plate between the trans and t-case. Lets hope.  {cross}

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was a scary ride to say the least 8) That is just a tag-along trailer they had where i work, ment for mini-excavator or bobcat to be towed behind dump truck. With those ramps i wasn't risking the rear window getting smashed!

I just uploaded another video of the trans damage. Hope you can see it well enough.
Transmission Damage

This is my first day touching the truck mechanically.

So far i've removed the spare tire and fixed the leak that was in the original tire. I've cut away the bad spring and i'm working on getting the bolts out that have 20 years of rust holding them together. I'm also taking measurements for some sort of bracket for the air bags.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'm trying to determine weather i want a core for the shell or just get the whole thing.  I'm trying to keep this a cheap project and just get it back on the road and beat the piss out of it until it dies.  Hopefully by then i'll have located a nice W250 cummins to swap in. 

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
If the crack was anywhere else, i would say JB weld it, but theres a piston that pushes from the main part of the trans right against that housing.  You should be able to find a replacement OD unit to bolt on. Wont even have to take the tranny out to do it.  It might be a little expensive for a truck that is scheduled to be tortured to death.

Fill in your location in your profile. There might be some members near you.  We all have a habbit of stashing away parts. If you were in my neighborhood, i woulda given you a replacement spring.

Good luck getting those bolts out. I gave up and used a torch last time i messed with leafs.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
The OD unit should NOT be serviced separate from the main housing.

The OD assembly controls total end play. If play now becomes excessive, the rest of trans is likely to fail.

This means you are due for a total transmission rebuild.

A core OD is available for around $125 for 4x4 unit. MAKE SURE yours is labeled 89-95, NOT the shorter 96-up 46RE housing.

·
Registered
52,720 Posts
I have a 518 here for sale if you are close.  ;D

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
s ǝoɾ said:
The OD unit should NOT be serviced separate from the main housing.

The OD assembly controls total end play. If play now becomes excessive, the rest of trans is likely to fail.
Im not convinced that that is really the case. I adjusted the input shaft endplay without the OD on mine without realising it was sposed to be on there. After the whole thing was assembled, there was no change in endplay measurement. Maby i got lucky?

For somthing thats gonna get beat to death, screw it. Slap on a replacement and enjoy. For somthing you want to get 100k miles out of, do it right.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so i sorta figured out the profile thingy, i'll get more into it later.

Thanks for the help and kind words, i was referred by someone over on DTR and this seems to be the better of the ramcharger sites as well.

After looking at it a few more times, seems asymetric is right about it coming off somewhat easily.  When i do this will the inner gears come out with it?  or is it more like a support and shell for everything inside?  

Mopar65PA i'm in the most south east part of PA and i would be glad to come pick it up if close by.

As for my previous statement, i don't really drive like that.  I want to drive it to work (32 mile trip) and offroad on the weekends, keeping my cummins for the side work and heavy pulling.  I need to get my own car trailer so when i goto tow something its balanced right on the axle, not on the bumper hitch on my truck.

I've been bouncing in and out all day and i've gotten the bottom shackle bolt flush with the spring perch and i'll start using a punch to get it the rest of the way out, maybe use a wrench and back it out now that the threads are in there.

Thanks for the offer on the springs, i have a few ideas about how to "Support" the weight of the wagon, thinking maybe the main leaf and helper bags will make for a nice smooth ride.  Straight bags will be a lot to fab after getting into the measurements of everything, unless i use some sort of wishbone(from dirt bikes) setup the travel of the bags i have isn't going to be enough.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hybrid 1ton said:
Did you happen to find us after googling nazis?
Do you happen to get that often?

I hate the way google works sometimes, seems you never get exactly what your looking for...

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
If you swap another one in there, just rebuild it.

I don't care how many previous owners vouch for the condition, they have a nasty habit of just suddenly dieing at the most inconvenient of times.

Asymetric, I'm not sure if your 42RE (or whatever it was) was the same or not.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
s ǝoɾ said:
If you swap another one in there, just rebuild it.

I don't care how many previous owners vouch for the condition, they have a nasty habit of just suddenly dieing at the most inconvenient of times.

Asymetric, I'm not sure if your 42RE (or whatever it was) was the same or not.
Yep. Mine was the smaller 42RE/A500. Everything i have read indicates that the engineering on the A500 and A518/618 is exactly the same, just a little smaller and lighter duty. My manual covers both.

My experience is limited to a single rebuild, so im not claiming to be an authority or anything.

·
Registered
52,720 Posts
JustRamIt91 said:
Thanks for the help and kind words, i was referred by someone over on DTR and this seems to be the better of the ramcharger sites as well.

Mopar65PA i'm in the most south east part of PA and i would be glad to come pick it up if close by.
I'm on DTR too from time to time. ;)

Ok I'm sending you a PM about the trans. ;D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.