Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to this forum and asking for help. I have acquired a 1987 RC with 61,000 miles. This RC has been setting in a barn for nearly 20 years as the previous owner had died many years ago. His son decided that he wanted to start driving the RC several years ago and did not do any preventive checks before starting this RC. After I got it home I did all of the fluid checks, primed the oil pump and got it to fire up but it would backfire through the carb. After I did a few checks and test I discoved what I feared the problem was. A flat camshaft. The RC engine is a 318 so out it came. I have a replacement 1992 360 roller cam with 42,000 miles out of a 1 ton 15 passenger van. I have 4 barrel carb intake that will be replacing the factory TBI 2 barrel intake and plan on installing a Holly Sniper 4 barrel injection system. I'm not looking to build an extreme engine but would like better performance than stock. I will be towing a boat or small camp trailer from time to time and this will be my daily driver. So I' looking and asking for any suggestions and help with this build toward achieving my goals. I have woirked on several project vehicles in the past and my most recent project was a full frame off rebuild of a 1971 Jeepster Commando

·
Super Moderator
14,344 Posts
That engine will should enough power for what you need. Upgrading it would cost more $ than it's worth imo (cam shaft, headwork or aftermarket heads, etc). If the fuel injection is well-tuned and you have enough ignition timing, it should work well. Just make sure the catalytic isn't clogged and the exhaust isn't too restrictive.

For actual seat-of-the-pants performance, correct gearing will make a BIG difference. You likely have 3.23/3.21 gears. 3.7 would be much better, unless going with bigger tires, then you want even steeper gears, like 3.9 or 4.1.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
a roller cam motor with a flat cam = unlikely but possible

your gonna need a 360 torque convertor or a balanced flex plate

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By stating roller cam engine I mean the cam assembly  has roller lifters. I'm needing camshaft recamendations. Thinking around 460-480 lift, 268-280 duration 110 degree.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
okiesooner said:
By stating roller cam engine I mean the cam assembly has roller lifters. I'm needing camshaft recamendations. Thinking around 460-480 lift, 268-280 duration 110 degree.
your 1987 318 motor is a roller cam

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the old engine was 318. The new engine is 360 from a 1 ton van 42,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
If the old engine (was) the original 1987 318,  in the RC it would most likely be a roller cam and roller lifter,  w/ 2 barrel carburetor.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Mostly all 318's went roller by 1985 and or had the provisions for such. Trucks  went roller in 87 but also could be flat tappet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.