Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just make em solid. Or with the internal bracing that they need but with screw bosses.

Some guys here make them out of wood and sand them diwn smooth. They are harder than originals but work great. So I don’t see how a printed version wouldn’t work great.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
there is this plating company who has spent years developing how to plate 3D printed parts to increase strength and longevity and where it wont peel off. My dad did a tone of material / R&D with there process & know the CEO, if saw the other photos in the beginning of the metal plated parts thats what I both want to do Original and that black distress look. But I am still working at this time Jungle. Now go back and answer Bohunk, I'll make em solid Since SLS is better suited for that. I can always honey comb the inside later to lighten it up.

·
Vendor
11,433 Posts
I would probably be interested in a chrome one is it looks like the chrome OEM ones.
Jim

·
Registered
1975 W100 Power Wagon Adventurer Sport 318 727 NP203 3.55
170 Posts
The 2 bulb cargo light lens for a 75 would be great

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yeah Jim I definitely will get with you on that once i figure out pricing. It all depends on that bulk pricing from the planting company.

I can not do clear lense / parts yet. But i think i know a material that will work. But id have to process develop that KG5JXO. But definitely a great idea.

·
Registered
166 Posts
As others have commented about the trim pieces I wish there were reproduction door panels it's hard as heck finding decent ones without having to sell a body part to get them. Any chance you could make the plastic wheel flares like the ones on a 93 ramcharger
Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Plastic wheel flares should be perty doable. Whole entire door panels would be a hell of a challenge because they are so big. Best to fine the old objection mold dies for those. But one thing at a time. I gotta start small and work my way up to the big stuff.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Not a fan of stock flares.

Now if there was a stealthy replacement that was a little wider, didn't need holes into the face of the fender, and didn't make the wheel opening smaller.... that would be a win.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I dont see why we can not CAD up some kick ass wheel flares and give them a try. How far out you guys want something like that? 3 inches? Because i am gonna start learning CAD here soon. And it would be a good easy 1st project. Since its very simple in shape and design.

Reactions: MichaelH

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I am still working on pricing from the metal plating company. But this is there first quote. The prices are way to high. I have emailed them back asking what can we do to lower the plating cost to below a $100. But i thought id share it. Im hoping to sell the ram heads no more than a $150 plated since the cost of re making original ones where high than i anticipated, but these would be ultra high quality and probably out last you and your grandkids good tho. Now i know i can sell white ones which are paint ready for $60 each. Photo below of the white ram head in case you missed it at the top. Right now thats all i got.

Quantitys & price for metal plating.

To plate 1 it would be $230 a unit

To plate 10 it would be $205 a unit

To plate 25 it would be $180 a unit

To plate 100 it would be $150 a unit

White Injected Modeled Smooth ones (Piant Ready) $60.00

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Flares to cover 4" of rust :ROFLMAO:
(Like the 88-98 factory chevy flares do)

2" stickout is plenty.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Lol I'll have to see how it goes after few weeks of CAD studies goes. But should be doable.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The wishlist is getting bigger every day. Nice (y)
HOBO you'll have plenty of scanning to do!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thanks Panda! We'll see what happens! Only one thing at a time. I am also thankful for all the feed back.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Exactly, one thing at a time. I'd suggest making a poll for the most wanted part to start with.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Yeah my thoughts exactly. The one item I know thats on top of the list is the Ram Head Hood Ornament. Seeing those prices spike to $300 - $400 + is just retarded. I hope to reproduce damn near identical ones to the originals for a fraction of those cost. I think that price gouging is ridiculous and not cool.

Reactions: Panda

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Well, I made some progress on CAD of a wheel arch. lol Just a simple shape. I still have a way to go, gonna pull one mine off. So I can take some measurements of factory mounting holes in the wheel well. I have to CAD the mounting holes / bracket. Then Style it a bit. but this was designed after a 1 hour crash course at 1 am. I plan to get with my engineers this week and ask em a few CAD questions.
simple wheel arch.jpg

Reactions: jcruse64
21 - 40 of 54 Posts