Dodge RamCharger Central banner
261 - 280 of 325 Posts

· Registered
Project Leviathan
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
Interesting. Is that done while printing, or another step in the whole process.

Back to the wheel centers, how well does the printed product take paint? They may work for a lot of members if they can paint them to match their body color.
Painting is not a problem at all "Jungle jim did his custom set of seat belt buckle covers I did for him". Vapor smoothed or not. You can cerakote parts too. Which I am certified in as well.

Vapor Smoothing, is an additional step in post processing. I currently work at one of the two company's that specialize in it. and we are currently the best hands down. I speak factually in that. The ram heads come vapor smoothed FYI, and the metal plated one I did for my self and Jungle Jim where vapor smoothed prior to plating. we can get smoothness values down to like 2 - 4/5 ish RA from 20 - 18 RA depending on technology and materials.

· Administrator
31,900 Posts
Interesting. Amazing what can be done these days. I am still an old school hobby machinist, looking in the window of these new technologies saying damm that looks cool. I envy you. Sounds like a cool job.

Reactions: HOBO

· Registered
Project Leviathan
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
yeah it is, I manage benchmarking right now. I never know what I am gonna get in the door. Just like back when I was running the Service Bureau. That what makes it so fun, seeing all these crazy ideas come to life.

· Registered
1975 W100 Power Wagon Adventurer Sport 318 727 NP203 3.55
228 Posts
I kinda like the duck. makes me wonder if you can do the mean looking one that used top be a common hood ornament. not looking for one but I'm sure someone is

· Registered
Project Leviathan
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
I kinda like the duck. makes me wonder if you can do the mean looking one that used top be a common hood ornament. not looking for one but I'm sure someone is
Yup thats a reality!

· Registered
12 Posts
Well finally had some time to sit down and work on the 1st draft. I tired drawing it off of a reference imagine. Its giving me some lip since I wasn't perfectly straight on with the camera / part. I have also noticed there is some weird geometry angles. I might need to scrap this draft and start from the ground up. Definitely gonna be learning some new techniques on how to do this. Sorry for taking so long to finally sit down for 5 min to look at it closely and start the official process.

View attachment 629793
I would certainly take a set of these if available with hole and without hole! I need a set of 4 when available please!

· Registered
Project Leviathan
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 · (Edited)
Well, sorry for the uber long delay, been supper busy, moving to a new house locally, new job and yeah. Good news Is I just got this scanner for free. Did this Cap as a test. so now I got to learn how to mesh edit. so we are moving forward to see how viable this is. If it work out well, I can hopefully improve work flow and improve part quality.

Helmet Automotive tire Sports equipment Automotive wheel system Table
Hairstyle Neck Sleeve Gesture Plant

· Registered
Project Leviathan
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
Im working towards it. Slow but surely. One man here fighting a lot of battles at the moment lol.

But thank you! Yes as soon as things get them actually made & proven out. Well be good to go. My biggest challenge with these is the geometry are at some goofy angles & bit advance for my current skill set.

· Registered
12 Posts
Im working towards it. Slow but surely. One man here fighting a lot of battles at the moment lol.

But thank you! Yes as soon as things get them actually made & proven out. Well be good to go. My biggest challenge with these is the geometry are at some goofy angles & bit advance for my current skill set.
I can imagine it wouldn't be an easy job! But the progress made so far is impressive. Looks great!

· Registered
1983 W-150 Royal Prospector with a 318
59 Posts
I'm would think you may already know this fact but the original rear wheel caps are two pieces with the center of the closed center caps being a separate piece that was attached (melted plastic pins? or glued with an adhesive on the pins?) in the cap body. May be easier to make these in two pieces like original?

A texting cab driver smashed my truck in downtown Dallas while failing to yield the right of way. The corner of the front bumper of his Honda van went right in my rear wheel as he turned left and crushed the cap. The only piece left intact was the center of the center cap which flew clear, the rest was filthy, chrome, fairy dust all over the rear wheel. The rear tire, a 33 inch BFG absorbed most of the impact, but dented the bedside, bent the rear leaf springs on both sides, sheared off the titty on the factory lift block, drove the axle housing on that side into center section about a 1/4 inch and the driveshaft popped out. The hardest thing to find to get the truck back together after all that was the center cap for the rear wheel. It took two a a half years to find a driver quality cap, meaning it could still mount on the truck. Not that anyone here cares, the Odyssey van was totaled. It pissed me off to see that missing cap every time I went out to get in the truck. If you get them made I'm sure you will have a line around the block with folks wanting them. Good luck with it.

· Registered
Project Leviathan
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
I'm would think you may already know this fact but the original rear wheel caps are two pieces with the center of the closed center caps being a separate piece that was attached (melted plastic pins? or glued with an adhesive on the pins?) in the cap body. May be easier to make these in two pieces like original?

A texting cab driver smashed my truck in downtown Dallas while failing to yield the right of way. The corner of the front bumper of his Honda van went right in my rear wheel as he turned left and crushed the cap. The only piece left intact was the center of the center cap which flew clear, the rest was filthy, chrome, fairy dust all over the rear wheel. The rear tire, a 33 inch BFG absorbed most of the impact, but dented the bedside, bent the rear leaf springs on both sides, sheared off the titty on the factory lift block, drove the axle housing on that side into center section about a 1/4 inch and the driveshaft popped out. The hardest thing to find to get the truck back together after all that was the center cap for the rear wheel. It took two a a half years to find a driver quality cap, meaning it could still mount on the truck. Not that anyone here cares, the Odyssey van was totaled. It pissed me off to see that missing cap every time I went out to get in the truck. If you get them made I'm sure you will have a line around the block with folks wanting them. Good luck with it.
It'll be best to build them as one piece which I can do no problem. Then create the front ones with the hole and make em two separate parts. would be way better that way. Less problems.

And thanks for the feed back! I'll dually note it!

· Registered
Project Leviathan
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
UPDATE:

Sorry for the radio Silence lately! Got all moved into the new house now / finishing settling in and money is a bit tight currently. I need a few more things to get set up for the 3D scanner up and going to processes the best quality scans to continue my endeavors of streamlining things.

Other Good news! I set up an etsy store front which is way better than ebay! Best part is I can post all my parts I have in stock vs getting severely limited. So if you need something go here! need something please PM me! I got a few more parts in stock. I just need a few photos before I make listings!

Wild things is a sold my 1st part on etsy last night. ad wasn't up even a week and getting decent traffic. Also, if you see something up with my ad's / sales post. Let me know. I know some of my parts are for select trucks. Example the Courtesy / Dome Light.

Best Regards Gents!

New Esty Store Front: MMIIndustriesShop - Etsy

· Registered
Project Leviathan
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 ·
Sorry for such a long delay on this. But yesterday it just finally click in my head on how to CAD the wheel cap. IDK why it didn't come to me sooner. but at last made major progress on draft one for the wheel cover!!!!!! Soon, I'll do my 1st prototype and get it fitment tested. You can see also, I made a small mistake with the shape of the cut out. didn't realize it till I got to the 5th one. lol. Easy Fix.

Also, got some final touches as time goes on. Still gotta add the mounting locations, then some chamfers / filets. but that will come down the line.

See photo below.

Drinkware Cylinder Gesture Liquid Human leg

· Registered
Project Leviathan
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 · (Edited)
Okay, Cleaned up the model quite a bit now. Added some finial touches for the 1st official draft / Test part. Finally able to to get ball park pricing per unit when production hits. approx: $65.00 - 125.00 USD. NOTE: Still Subject to change and has not been fully decided yet.

Last Major CAD steps will be the mounting towers and creating the Caped unit.

I'm Low on material, just ordered more, supposed to be here tomorrow morning, so I can build this thing. Then to get sent out for fitment testing. Enjoy the photos' below.

Tire Wheel Automotive design Automotive tire Sleeve

Material property Circle Symmetry Fashion accessory Toy

Sleeve Triangle Symmetry Font Creative arts

· Administrator
31,900 Posts
what about the spots for the mounting screws?

· Registered
Project Leviathan
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 ·
what about the spots for the mounting screws?
I mentioned that above. I wanna make sure its all dimensionally accurate 1st. Plus, still mauling over how to best CAD them, not sure the best way.

- Last Major CAD steps will be the mounting towers and creating the Caped unit.

· Administrator
31,900 Posts
OK, now I see. I misunderstood that part. I would do five mounting points, that way if one breaks the owner still has two more to use.

If you put in a grove at the top, you can make the center so it snaps in.

Reactions: HOBO

· Registered
Project Leviathan
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
OK, now I see. I misunderstood that part. I would do five mounting points, that way if one breaks the owner still has two more to use.

If you put in a grove at the top, you can make the center so it snaps in.
Cant do 5, will not work. but I can make them extra beefy. why add a cap? when it can be built in, fixed in place?

261 - 280 of 325 Posts