Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is where the frame touches the damaged area

I dont think its bad. just some minor work.

·
Registered
990 Posts
That front passenger side frame rail looks a little tweaked to me... That "bump" in the top of it, just below and a little in front of the alternator is NOT supposed to be there. If I were you I would strip all the front and measure the frame rails and determine how bent that front is...

I like the Summit decal on the oil pan... ::)

You have a few broken lugnuts. When you change them out make damn sure the rest of them are TIGHT (ask Hardway42 about that...). I would go ahead and replace all of them on the front, just to be safe.

I never will understand the reasoning of putting the gas tank in the cab... :-\

Man, that radiator core support is tweaked... Good luck finding another one that hasn't succumbed to rust at the bottom.

Looks like a hell of a project though... and I am partial to 3/4 ton Club Cabs...

Mike

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also I noticed it too. im thinking of straightening it out then boxing it all the way to the main frame.

That way i get to keep what i have, and make it 100% stronger.

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
Once you get the front end off it take it to a frame shop man and have it put on a machine and have it fixed that bump means the frame is tweaked for sure . Don't look too bad but still have it done man . Might cost you a few hundred bucks but well worth it cuz your axle won't be straight if that part is tweaked out and you will have steering problem and eat right front tires up .

bt83rc

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I had to have the frame of my 88 welded, after I bought it, it had been in an accident and the frame cracked. somwone had put new metal over the crack to stop it, but when the safety check was done on it, he had the hood open and turned the wheel and the front end wiggled. be careful with frame dammage. I don't plan on doing much to my truck because of the dammage, but make sure the dammage is taken car of first, before it gets worse. I had to have my frame boxed to keep it from wiggling, because someone was cheap with repairing before, and it got worse.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thnx yall. I do plan on doing this truck 1000% right the first time. Only the best parts and upgrades. nothing left untouched. im even thinknig of a wild rollbar cut through to nurf bars connected to teh front and rear bumbers for a "roll-cage on the outside" kinda thing.

just a thought . . . but in thinking all outside the box!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Well that explains the metal fan shroud mystery on my 74 Power Wagon. I thought it was home-made by somebody...
it was broke so I used a plastic one off a 78 military truck.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Desert_Dog said:
That front passenger side frame rail looks a little tweaked to me... That "bump" in the top of it, just below and a little in front of the alternator is NOT supposed to be there.
Mike
I checked three of my trucks, 1 1/2 ton and 2 3/4 ton, and they all have that "bump". If yours is not there Mike... you might have the tweaked frame... maybe :p
Tony

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
In that first pic, showing the wheel with the broken studs, are those drum brakes on the front axle? I thought that 1974 was the frist year for disc brakes. Your front axle may not be original. Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
8,517 Posts
whlnwgn said:
In that first pic, showing the wheel with the broken studs, are those drum brakes on the front axle? I thought that 1974 was the frist year for disc brakes. Your front axle may not be original. Just a thought.
The full-time 4wd trucks were the first 4wd dodges to get disc brakes. Part time 4wd prior to ft4wd all had front drums. The change over year for 1/2 tons was '74 (both ft4wd and pt4wd was available that year). The 3/4 and 1 tons changed over during 1975, again, both were available that year.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hey Ramdodger,

If you have a hump in the frame like the last picture has, you DO have a bent frame... If your truck is a 3/4 ton...

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Hey Skip, Mike is right. Lug nut issues can become very exspensive and also very scary.

Luckily, my wheel never actually came off, but it really wanted to...

I had to buy a new(used) hub ($98.00) wheel bearings, and a new wheel... Studs are less than 3 bucks a piece at napa... but you probably know all this.

Good luck with project redhead. ;)
Ian

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do plan on redoing ALL of the brakes. I plan on redoing gverything and since I want to go 4 wheel disk, it would be dumb for me not to give everythign a once over. THNX for the note to look!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts