Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres one for you guys. Got my new motor in my 79 RC and fired it up today got it timed in, and then it just died on me for no reason. The motor didnt seize up, and its getting plenty of gas. We checked fuses, and all of those seem fine. All of my wires where hooked up to where they were susposed to be. We swaped out the coil, and it did the same thing. The negative battery cable was a bit warm after cranking which I thought was weird. Its like someone just reaches in and switches the ignition key to off. No sputter or trying to stay running, just dies. The ballist resistor is brand new and it ran before with it on the old motor. A buddy of mine suggested it could be the ignition module.
Guessing it could be that, or the resistor. Could it be the relay on the drivers side fender that the positive battery cable hooks up too? One other thing, sometimes it seems like its sucking the battery dry. Other times she will try to start up. I know this is alot, but Im hella stumped.

Thanks everyone!
Travis

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not to sound stupid but if it is the pick-up coil in the distributor, can I replace that or do I have to replace the whole distributor? Im going to check everything again today to see what it could be, thanks for your help!
Travis

·
Registered
452 Posts
Ratsucks,

I am not sure where your problem lies. But.... if you are using your stock Distributor from 79 then you will not have a Hall Effect style Pickup you wwould still have the old style points... Right? I know that the 88 and newer TBI equipped engines have the hall effect pickup.

Distributors are rebuildable. So you should be able to find the parts at your local dealership.

As far as your problem goes is this a Carbuerated engine? If it is running for a couplpe off minutes and cutting out on you then I would think something is getting warmed up and the heat is causing it to cut out on you. Perhaps a resistor or something along those lines.

Marcus

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
this may sound silly but have you looked at the ammeter yet. it will allow a crank and no start condition. can also make a no crank condition. if your getting cranking check for power to the pos of coil and see if you have it. good luck

jamie

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just wanted to say thanks for everyone that replied. Turns out my problem was the factory Q-jet I picked up out of the JY. It was off of a 88 1 ton van and for some reason, it would get fuel then just cut it off. I swaped over to an Edelbrock carb that I picked up and the problem was gone. So who knows what was wrong with the Q-jet.

Again Thanks everyone!
Travis

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Brew said:
According to my Haynes, they started using the electronic ignitions stock in 1974.

Glenn
True, Brew, but I don't think the earlier electronic ignitions had the Hall Effect. If memory serves, that was a feature that came with the tbi, which had no vaccuum advance. I've never had my dist in my '79 apart to replace the pick-up coil, so I am not 100% certain. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts