Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to introduce myself. I am a new member, but not new to lurking over this fantastic forum. Such a great wealth of general knowledge all in one place. I live in rural West Virginia and long time Mopar fan. I am now reviving my Ram build as of recently and have decided to join you all here to share my build as it moves forward at a snails pace.

The truck is a currently blown apart 1981 Ram Reg. Cab. Stepside. The plan is to do a full 1 ton swap ( chevy D60 front and 2002 2500 Hd Dana 70 Disc.) and resto-mod. of my own ideas. This will not be an off road truck, but built to handle and look like it. I would love to show this at local car shows and meets.

Thanks for letting me be a part of this great site.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kurt- The reason for adding HD drivetrain is to hopefully compensate for the powerplant I have to install. Plus I already have all the parts. Nearly 40 trucks for parts at my disposal.

mttaff- I am 20 mi from Parkersburg. Actually work in Parkersburg.

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
TurboRamBuildWV said:
Kurt- The reason for adding HD drivetrain is to hopefully compensate for the powerplant I have to install. Plus I already have all the parts. Nearly 40 trucks for parts at my disposal.

mttaff- I am 20 mi from Parkersburg. Actually work in Parkersburg.
How much power plant are you doing?
I'm pushing 600 h.p. and my 9" rear and Dana 44 front hold up just fine.
Granted... I am careful with the 44 in serious off- road endeavors. But everyone should be careful and not berserk it in serious off- road endeavors. ;D
And the 9" does have "lifetime warranty" (the fools
) 31 spline axles in it.
I twisted the 28 spline ones.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
I snapped an axle joint and gutted the spider and side gears out of the D44 in my '74 W100 with 32" tires and 3.55 gears.  Axle joint with a stock 318 2BBL, spiders with a very mild 383.  ;D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
How much power plant are you doing?
I'm pushing 600 h.p. and my 9" rear and Dana 44 front hold up just fine.
I have a low deck 400 that I plan on boosting. Hoping for upwards of 900 ft.lbs.
Gonna do it as a 451 or 470. With a semi turbo or BorgWarner variant. Have everything but the turbo and EFItech kit.

As for the d44 and 9.25 they are tough in their own right, but to beef them up right the cost could buy the rebuild kit for the 60 . Just hoping the ring and pinion from a 2nd gen 60 will fit the chev 60. Save more money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Elwenil said:
I snapped an axle joint and gutted the spider and side gears out of the D44 in my '74 W100 with 32" tires and 3.55 gears. Axle joint with a stock 318 2BBL, spiders with a very mild 383. ;D
Sounds like a chore fitting a 383 in with the 318. ;D

Nevermind just reread that a tad slower. :eek: The torque in them low decks are amazing. Thought the 318 transformed into a 383.

·
Registered
52,877 Posts
Welcome to the KNUTTHOUSE!  {wave}

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.