Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought some nice shinny aluminum welded valve covers off ebay and the drivers side wont clear the brake booster or the kickdown linkage. Im sure someone has been through this already. Does anyone have ideas or know of a smaller booster that will work. Only other option I have is to try and pull out the left side motor mount and tip the motor to the left and see if i can squeeze it in there.
please help if you can. thank you in advance
wp

·
Administrator
62,284 Posts
Get a brake booster from a 3/4 or 1 ton. I don't recall, but think you will also have to change the master cyl.

You will get better braking to boot.

·
Super Moderator
14,330 Posts
wespiece1 said:
thx for the tip - any idea around what year? mine is an 86'
Yes, get the '86. It'll bolt right in. Many years will exchange but just ask for the '86. I did it to my '85.

·
Administrator
62,284 Posts
The safest bet, is 86. IIRC, The big difference is the 70's, and 80's have a different way to connect the booster rod, to the brake pedal. I use 85, as the year to get, and have converted most of my trucks to an 85 booster, and master, that way I only have to stock one master on my parts shelf. IIRC, the same combo was used 84 to 93.

·
Administrator
62,284 Posts
Thats the one. It does not say if the master is rebuilt or not, but I have had so many issues, I only go with new masters. 

·
Super Moderator
14,330 Posts
SuperBurban said:
Thats the one. It does not say if the master is rebuilt or not, but I have had so many issues, I only go with new masters.
x2. I *never* would use a rebuilt master. Not worth it unless there's no choice.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
It would be best if you have an adjustable push rod from the brake lever.
That way you can "fine tune" the push.
If it's not right on... if it's to short and it will be a long time before it makes contact with the master piston.
To long... it will pre- apply the brakes= massive drag.
I went through all this when I changed over.

·
Administrator
62,284 Posts
The rod coming out of the booster is adjustable. Dodge did not use different pedals like chebby, nad furds, so there should not be any need to adjust the pedal to booster rod length, especially since he is using a booster for the same year as his truck.

I have not had any pedal to booster length issues even with using the 85 boosters on my 77's Curious what your problems were, that needed the rod changes were.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
SuperBurban said:
The rod coming out of the booster is adjustable. Dodge did not use different pedals like chebby, nad furds, so there should not be any need to adjust the pedal to booster rod length, especially since he is using a booster for the same year as his truck.

I have not had any pedal to booster length issues even with using the 85 boosters on my 77's Curious what your problems were, that needed the rod changes were.
You jogged my memory. It's been quite a few years back I did that conversion.
And I'm not running that setup anymore.
I should have said the rod coming out of the booster that is adjustable... as you said.

I do remember the "kick up" bracket I ran with that set up that put the booster even higher.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.