Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure you guys know this feeling but when you get one you can't stop. Well same goes for me. picked this 1972 d200 crew cab long bed camper special a few months ago. A/C, cruise control. 400 big block and an automatic. it's getting 4x4 swapped and getting a cummins as we speak. heres some pictures of the progress. figured you guys would appreciate seeing something like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this has taken about 2 months so far between school and work only having some time here and there on the weekends

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
moparmadness408 said:
this has taken about 2 months so far between school and work only having some time here and there on the weekends
Still...That's a lot of work in two months time. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
heres another update from the past weekend. front end painted and bolted in. threw the engine in. made new brake lines, crunched the voltage regulator on install but oh well i was going to get a new one anyways. swapped to '93 booster and master clylinder. cut the trans tunnel so i can mock up the bolt in 4x4 tunnel. also installed the cummins transmission crossmember. carrier bearing location should work perfectly so im looking into getting a driveshaft made soon and looking for kits for crossover steering. anyone have experience with kits that work with little to no lift. i know that northwest fab has a kit but just seeing whats out there. core support modifications should be coming up soon and hopefully should get the front clip back on but one thing at a time. its coming together and im excited to see this thing driving soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another round of updates!

modified a 1992 cummins core support to accept the 1972 headlight buckets and turn signals. I then put the whole front clip on. the front turn signal valence will definitely interfere with the intercooler and A/C condenser so i will have to modify that soon. also need to modify for the latch for the hood.

I also decided against making crossover steering work with no lift. these front springs are so sagged out there is no way i could make it fit so i will be using the 4wd setup until i can get new front springs. i also swapped in a shorter steering shaft that goes through the column which is what the 4x4's use.

last things on the "list" is to make a filler neck from the cab to the tank and to get a rear driveshaft in which i have an idea on that. other than that it is almost ready to go on the maiden voyage with the new heart and front axle.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,114 Posts
I still remember the day of my maiden voyage in my Cummins crew... Great feeling for sure.
Eric

·
Registered
52,879 Posts
looking good, I wanted to do a 4x4 conversion on my 78 but a divorce brought that to a stop.  :'( Ended up selling it for cheap..................  :(

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
been awhile since an update.

truck runs and drives. haven't left the property but none the less! is in dire need of front springs as the truck is leaning and the front is sagged. got the exhaust all buttoned up and is done. But, im plagued with leaks. oil is pouring out of the rear main and fuel is dripping out of the injection pump and other places. relatively easy fixes but i don't want to throw a band aid on it and call it good. luckily i have a spare engine, automatic trans and transfer case. everything will be gone through before hand and when im ready i will take out the old and in with the new. engine block and head is at the machine shop getting a once over. i have just rebuilt the transfer case( forgot to take pictures) so now im onto the transmission.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Engine block received a hone and the cylinder head got a new valve job, valve stem seals and pressure tested. using cummins titanium black paint. i love doing engine work so i am getting excited to start this thing up. the injection pump is getting new seals to stop the fuel leaks. will be turning it up once the engine fires. using the hungry diesel fuel pin and 3600 governor spring.

for the engine, i am using 5x.012 nozzles, hamilton cams 182/214 cam, new 24 valve tappets, new pushrods, 60# valve springs and head studs.  getting a new exhaust manifold and turbo soon. 

Attachments

·
Registered
52,879 Posts
deathrowdave said:
Damn nice work ! I'm in need of an early narrow style engine crossmember from a 4x4 truck , if anyone runs across one .
How early? I think I have 4 out back from 72-92.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I’m thinkin pre 74 . If you look at the engine cross members , the one I need is about 4 inches wide . The later ones are about 6 -7 inches wide . I need an early one in the worse way . Thanks so much , and be safe in your travels , Dave

·
Registered
52,879 Posts
deathrowdave said:
I'm thinkin pre 74 . If you look at the engine cross members , the one I need is about 4 inches wide . The later ones are about 6 -7 inches wide . I need an early one in the worse way . Thanks so much , and be safe in your travels , Dave
Sorry Dave, I don't have one. they are all the wider ones. :-\ I know I tore a 74 apart but that was 17 years ago and I don't think I kept the X-member. If I did I can't find it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.