Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.. looking for some info on networking 2 computers here at home....The Main computer is a dell intel 933 w/ internet access/ windows me....... the other is a 333 amd . w/ windows 98.. I know i will have to get network cards... trying to connect as (cheap) and easily as possable... so both can have internet access...from what i have read..It is possible to connect them with a cable as long as the cable has a couple of wires reversed.... is this correct??? any help would be appreciated...

Thanks.... ;D

G

·
All you need is a NIC (network or LAN card) in each computer and a crossover cable with the correct ends. Hook the cable between the two computers and they are networked. Make sure tha cable isn't over 100 feet long or the signal will degrade to much to be useful by the other computer. If you have to go over 100 feet you will need a repeater. You should be able to buy this stuff at Office Max or any business supply type store.

·
Registered
28,246 Posts
howdy / I bought NETGEAR ethernet network starter kit MODEL sb104 from STAPLES for $30 bucks / it came with two network cards - two 10 foot cables and the Ethernet HUB plus the software to run it / it works forkin great / I put all the BS that was on my good puter and slowin it down on the junk one I picked up for a $100 bucks / now I can still play all my games and run my programs by just turning on the other puter / its was like adding a 100megs of new memory

G

·
Thanks for the help on this one Glenn. I am currently going to school on this very subject. I didn't think about a switch. I need some practical "hands-on" experience for sure.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah, unlike Ramchargers, technology does not improve with age in most cases. Anybody remember full heigth 10 meg HDDs?? LOL...

Jay

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I remeber those full height 10 meg coffee grinders. Worse than that, I remember when having 640KB of expanded memory, not extended memory for DOS rocked!!! Could I be that friggin old? ???

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well guys.. i got 2 network cards from Best buy for $5.00 Each after rebates... but only one would work... the good puter has conflicts with this card... works fine in the other..(even upgraded the other puter to ME also) .Bought a crossover cable... then made one...( from extra cable from work) so i am ready but just need to get some conflicts resolved....... it screws up my internet connection... i can connect to the net, but it won't sent or receive any information...just have to get the settings figured out i guess...have had to use system restore a couple times to get it straight...

·
Registered
435 Posts
yeh check the hardware manager for the little yellow question marks or red exclimation marks.
also does ME have a built in internet sharing capability? I know 2000 and XP do I just never played with ME.

how about cassette driven adam computers....8 inch floppy drives ;D

Ascii a stupid question...get a stupid ansi

·
Registered
30 Posts
mopar4x said:
I remeber those full height 10 meg coffee grinders. Worse than that, I remember when having 640KB of expanded memory, not extended memory for DOS rocked!!! Could I be that friggin old? ???
lol my first computer was a 50MHz IBM PS/1 And I thought that was the best device a person could have... But then all of a sudden, WATCH OUT!! HERE COMES THE BIG 100MHz comps... lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts