Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
few weeks back the RC was acting upmechanic said it was running full rich (mutiple code 51's) he said egr valve was clogged with carbon. it worked for about a week when i got it back

now when i leave for work in the mornings and start off, it stutters, hesitates, black smoke out the tail pipes really really bad. while driving you have to be hard on the gas for it even to stay up to speed. the fuel smell is almost unbearable.it went from getting 14-15 mpg to 6-8 mpg since it has been acting up.
any ideas, it is my daily driver

·
Registered
561 Posts
Rukle number 1....The codes that the computer gives us are'nt necessarly always due to the exact problem that they correspond to. Cleaning the EGR valve may have jus "Bandaided" what was really wrong. I would look more closely at either 1) whether the heat cross over is blocked in the intake manifold, 2) If the TB temperature sensor has gone bad or 3) If the coolant temperature sensor has gone south, all of which can cause the problems that you describe.

If these items check out ok, I'd start looking more at the O2 sensor and then finally the fuel injectors themselves.

Just my .02

Dave

G

·
O2 sensor first.
MAP sensor second.
Everything else after that. Son't forget to pull the power off to reset the computer or it'll never see the new parts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have had a a very similer problem...i was getting 14-15 mpg and almost over night it dropped to 7-8. i have changed the o2, water temp, tb temp sensors, i put new injectors and still have the same problem....and i did reset the comp every time...i guess ill try the map sensor next but im not sure how much of a differnce that will make. please let me know if you figure it out. thanks everyone

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
maybe with a volt meter and a vacuum guage you could possibly test the MAP sensor? should also be able to test TPS O2 and most other sensors.

ill try to find the parameters. many sensors run on either 0-5v or 5-0v. but i need to find a source that tells what the volts hould be.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
::) if it was that bad, it might be stoped up again???? or even be bad..
the egr is only operational between idle and wot. or one of the 3 units it hooks to on the passanger side..they are all in the circut... i took mine off made a cover out of 1/4 " steel . this might cause high idle at times ... it does on mine . i have to turn it off and restart... quinn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts