Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since i took a new HD ram out for a ride, i've been wondering
about the towing aspect. i have always towed w/a dually and
everyone i talk to says that a single wheel 3/4 or 1ton is fine.
does anyone have opinions? i noticed that MoparMudder had
a single wheel cummins towing his monster to dodge city.
and his beast ways alot more than my RC.
i figure that my RC, trailer and equipment will run around
8000lbs. i'm very leery pulling that kind of weight long distances w/a single wheel truck. A buddy of mine had a 96
2500 ram V10 ext cab long bed that he used to pull his racecar which he estimated about 5500lbs. and he said no
problems with sway or anything. he did recommend tires in the 6-8 ply range for stiffer side walls.
only reason is i think i have the wife talked into trading in her
jimmy for one. she says she can't drive a dually, plus where she works (pontiac dealer) they have to park in a small area which is a pain in the ass for anything big and long. so i figure
with a crewcab short bed she would be fine. plus they a dream to drive very nimble for a biggin.
bring on the replys.

·
Super Moderator
8,516 Posts
You really shouldn't have any trouble. Even 1/2 tons are rated to tow close to 8000 lbs. In my Club Cab, I've towed 7000+ lb trailers several times, and cruising down the highway you couldn't even tell it was back there.

In my own opinion, I wouldn't worry about a single wheel truck towing untill you get into the 12-15K pound range, or you have a gooseneck with a lot of tounge weight.

·
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's not the total weight i'm worried about. it's the side to side
motion that's a concern if anything shifts. w/a dually you don't get any. it'll be cummins so weight isn't an issue. plus the crewcab shortbed is rated at 9900lbs w/a GCVW around 18000+.
i love dually's but i think i could be happy w/a single wheel.
they are pretty sweet.

TV.. you better put that 1/2ton to work towing the 75 or RC to RJ. ;D

·
Registered
666 Posts
I think the only real difference would be if you were towing something that catches a lot of air, like a camper or enclosed trailer. Other than that, you should be fine. My dad tows around a 20ft tandem trailer with a JLG (manlift) on it which weighs around 10K. He does this with his Ferd single axle. He has towed it all over the country and it rides fine. Its just a matter of how you load the trailer as much as anything else.

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
I think you'd be fine SRW, but your buddy is right about the tire stiffness. Some load range D or better is the ticket, aired up to 80 PSI.

I was towing a boat with some softer tires, and it was all over the road. Checked tire pressure, they were at 32 PSI. Aired them up to the rated 65 PSI and it made a world of difference.

Same goes for your trailer tires, too. If one of them goes soft, that trailer starts a swayin'. Don't ask how I know.

·
Super Moderator
8,516 Posts
W300_dually said:
TV.. you better put that 1/2ton to work towing the 75 or RC to RJ. ;D
Funny you should say that, I bought this trailer a few weeks ago. It will serve several purposes, but one intened use is exactly the one you mentioned. ;D

Its a 7000lb, 16' car hauler with brakes and 7' long ramps. According to my measurements, I'll be able to load the RC on there as is (with the 35" MTs on the 15x10 wheels) and it will fit between the fenders. ;D

·
Registered
428 Posts
another question then, could a 88 rc, 318/auto/4x4 with 36's, 8 overall inchesw of lift pull a trailer with a 79 k30 1-ton longbed witha 454, 40's, and 16 inches of lift? Would a 79 stepside on 7 inches and 35's witha 360 do any better? Thanks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just a suggestion.
I added a set of them camper load leveler bars to my 94 1/2 ton Dodge gasser and car trailer. You talk about making a difference. The truck pulled pretty good anyway, but when everything was level it pulled so much better.
Also, making sure things are loaded right makes a big difference. I think they recomend 80% of the weight over the tires on the trailer. I see so many 1/2 ton trucks with the weight on the very front of the trailer. It's gotta be so hard on the rear frame, especially these newer chebbies. And it's just got to make the front end really light, just has to be dangerous.
Well just a couple of my ideas,
Mark K

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
If you are towing a trailer gets slapped around alot with the wind, you will want a long bed, long cab truck. I have a 2500 quad cab, the wheel base is 155" and it tow very nice. If you check the specs of the early (94-2002) the 2500 actually had a larger tow rating than the 1-ton. The same components are used in both trucks. I would use the duallie if I were hauling a slide in camper for the stability.

·
Premium Member
5,054 Posts
snowcomander6 said:
Just a suggestion.
I added a set of them camper load leveler bars to my 94 1/2 ton Dodge gasser and car trailer. You talk about making a difference. The truck pulled pretty good anyway, but when everything was level it pulled so much better.
Also, making sure things are loaded right makes a big difference. I think they recomend 80% of the weight over the tires on the trailer. I see so many 1/2 ton trucks with the weight on the very front of the trailer. It's gotta be so hard on the rear frame, especially these newer chebbies. And it's just got to make the front end really light, just has to be dangerous.
Well just a couple of my ideas,
Mark K
I've got them and they do make a difference. They're also law up here if you are towing over 5000lb's (trailer and load).

·
Super Moderator
9,459 Posts
As mentioned elsewhere (z axis polar moment of inertia),... the longer the wheelbase, the more stable the vehicle. Although the big cab short bed is pretty long already, so it shouldn't really be an issue.

·
Premium Member
26,084 Posts
Ok to put everyone's fears and questions to rest, i have a 350 Power Ram, stock suspension, single wheel , i pull several trailers, a 2 car/truck 3 axle trailer, 2 axle car trailer, 2 axle heavy boat trailer, and a 3 axle very fu*king heavy boat trailer, the last trailer is for a 40foot cig boat let me tell you they are far from light, my 30 ft silv (full cabin and flying bridge) is 15,000lbs, and 10 feet wide it's wider than the trailer.
The trailer it goes on is the same one in the picture with my little boat, that trailer is 35ft long, and very heavy all by itself, that silv is very top heavy, and i don't have sway problems in the tires, but there is also 60 psi in a d rated tire, i will tell you those tire's squat somewhat, and that is the only thing i pull, and follow posted speed limits, put anything else back there, and i have not a worry in the world

·
Premium Member
9,018 Posts
If you are worried about sway, get one of the gadgets that stops sway...bolts onto yer trailer hitch...kinda like the load leveler stuff.

The only other advantage the dually has besides better stability, is better stopping power, cuz it has almost twice as much conatct at the rear end where the weight is.

And regarding towing something bigger than the towing vehicle..I did it, about 550 miles...as long as you realize you are in an iffy situation, and be careful...it should be fine.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My dad tows a 01' Bayliner 2655 Cierra with his 01 3500. It's got the HO 6 spd. Almost 10ft wide and I think weighs around 10,000 lbs. It's like there is nothing behind the truck,

Having a dually really gives you stability, but why not just get it anyway ;)

·
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
83Prospector said:
Having a dually really gives you stability, but why not just get it anyway ;)
this would be "the wifes" daily driver. she gets the new vehicles, i get the old.

·
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i just had a brainstorm!!

there's a local fly-by-night dealer who has a 89 cummins dually for sale. i'm going to see if he will trade it even up for my F150. he's had this truck over 6 months. i didn't even know it was a diesel til i finally stopped in. then......i could transfer everything over to the my crewcab. i'd already have all the parts and wiring. the only thing i can think of that i would have to spend is to have my
T-case adapter and output shaft put on the cummins trans.
i could also do upgrades, such as an intercooler and banks upgrades. i would need to change the gears. 4.56's are a little steep for a diesel.

anything i'm forgetting?????

·
Administrator
26,854 Posts
My 93 Cummins, single cab long bed, had no probs towing Drew's RC. Actually, when we towed Drew's RC up to Ram Jam in my Dads F250 Superduty, we had side to side movement the whole trip. Not so with the cummins. Maybe it is because the rear has tow springs (the rear is about 3" taller than the front when unloaded). I was very happy the my 93 Dodge towed better than my Dad's 2000 Superduty. Plus it gets better mileage too.

·
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nothing yet.........
i'm gettin married next saturday, so i'm going to wait til the following week. plus the ford has a little surface rust i have to
"cover" first ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts