Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Just now working on getting my engine harness back in the vehicle after installing Mopar performance distributor and cleaning up the wire harness(s), and I have hit yet another snag.

The Edelbrock intake has a spot for the oil pressure sender, but it is too close (sender is too high up toward distributor vacuum modulator) to allow me to plug in harness when timing is set & 10.

Anyone else hit this problem?
Did you move the vacuum mod on the distributor or move the oil pressure sender?
I would prefer to stay with the stock in dash piece, but would a manual set up be smaller than the stock oil sender and clear the distributor?

I sure wish the previous owner had left the stock intake and EFI, but now I'm stuck. Any one got any ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Turn the dist 180*, and move all the plug wires 180* as well???

-SM

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not that I'm not opposed to getting out the Dremel and making a new notch, but as I recall the hold down plate is notched, and might need to be cut. Has anyone spun the dist around 180* and had good results? Seems like I tried to install it 180* from where it is now, and something was in the way of the hold down plate not allowing it to sit down on the block.

Anyone know of a sender that would fit the same size hole in the intake that is smaller? Cutting into the harness and putting a different connector on for a new smaller sender would not be a problem at this point.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Can you fit a 90* adapter elbow into the sending unit hole, then screw the sending unit into the elbow?

If nothing else, the end of a mechanical pressure gauge line is relatively short and small compared to an electrical sending unit, so it should fit with no problems if you can not get the sending unit fitment issues worked out.

-SM

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another good idea Slanted_Mind, I will have to look into finding an elbow that would work.

I am still however hoping that Chump will chime in and give me a Napa part # for a smaller sensor that will take care of everything. :)

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I think i used a 45 degree elbow once-seemed to get me out of that bind.i also moved distributor one or two teeth to get the vacum out of the way when it was timed properly

·
7,995 Posts
I'll look, this is an 88 318/360? Does the sender look like this? 2 wire? The NAPA book list this sender for 88-89 and from what I can read it is a combination switch that will work with both a light and a gauge...so maybe we can find a 1 wire dude that will work? Thread size is 1/8" x 27..this would be a pipe thread. Alternatives would be to use the 45* or 90* fitting and move it over a hair (a short nipple and a 45* fitting) or to make up a small wiring extension with 2 seperate wires to plug on the sender and then plug them in the original wiring harness plug or cut off the connector and splice them. The harness mod might be the cheapest way to go. Let me poke around some. :)

·
7,995 Posts
I looked through the catalog and online. I did find some other senders but they will NOT match the PSI rating of your gauge system which appears to be 90 PSI. I found lots of 80 and 100 PSI senders but they will not read correctly on your gauge. Take a look at this fitting picture, this may be the best and easiest alternative? You should be able to find it in brass at an auto parts, hardware or plumbing supply shop. Take your sender with you. The sender unit should not need to be mounted straight up and should work fine at 45* as long as you have the room. Might need a wrap of teflon sealing tape?

·
7,995 Posts
If the above fitting does not allow enough room for the sender to fit(in example the round part it too close to the manifold) than you could use a nipple(various lengths available) and use a female 45* fitting?

45*

Nipple

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WOW!

You are all very helpful. I will get over to the hardware store early this week and let you all know what I found.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
seems odd as i have just pulled out a 318 and was standing ther pondering this question.the port for the sender is in the block where it always was.the dist is in the same place too,what i'm thinking is the distributor isnt indexed as it was from factory,thats why you are facing this problem.simply move all wires one tower over to give you the 10 degrees where you need it,that should do the trick.no adaptors .

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can it really be that easy offroader_dodge?

This sounds like a great idea, has anyone used it with good results?

Thanks,

·
Registered
299 Posts
No just moving the wires 1 position won't do it. Then the spark would be going to the wrong cylinder. A possible solution is to pull the dist (be prepared to reindex from TDC on cyl 1). Then pull the cam gear/oil pump shaft and rotate it 1 tooth in the directionyou would like the vac pot to move (prob cc as you look down on dist). Then reinstall the dist and set dist timing using TDC with rotor pointing at #1 plug wire terminal on dist cap. Naturally reset timing with light. This would move the vac pot away from the oil sending unit, but it is uncertain is it might now collide with the manifold or such. ALSO you will have to grind down the 'finger' mopar so cleverly designed to keep us shade tree's from twisting the dist too far.

I have the same problem right now. I put an electronic dist in a '90 RC. I currently am running with the oil sending unit unplugged. I believe I am going the angled connector route. I intend to tap in a mechanical oil gauge and hope to have dual turbos oiling off that port before too long.

Goog Luck!
Bruce

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
i have come across this before,if the rotor isnt pointing directly at # 1 cylinder when you drop dist. into block with crank aligned to zero after compression stroke you will never get it timed right.but if you are out a tooth or two,you should be able to manipulate the wires to get the timing correct.its like lifting the wires and twisting the cap where you want it and dropping the wires back on -as long as rotor matches #1 plug wire and firing order follows it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I woke up in the middle of the night and I saw that offroader_dodge was right! Move the plug wires i connection clockwise, twist dist counterclockwise to match.. set timing and it should work GREAT! I'm doing it today!

Thanks Off road and Good Luck Dodge w88100!

Bruce

·
Registered
299 Posts
GREAT!!!! I did jus that! moved the plug wires 1 connection and twisted the dist to the right settings! I now have the oil pressure plug back in and the vacuum pot connected! I had to fab up a dist wrench as the discount auto one wouldn't work, but it is back together and running GREAT!!

Good Luck!

Bruce

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
glad to hear it :) i use a flex socket and extension if its not too tight

1 - 18 of 18 Posts