Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okey dokey heres the deal guys, currently i have no front bumper on my truck in order to have some tow hooks on the front, as i am a rookie wheeler and i do plan on probably getting stuck atleast once :p.

heres a old pic from a few years ago, my truck rust wise is in amazing shape, shes from Florida and the body is really dent free. I just have some hooks mounted on where the bumper normally goes into the frame, they are required where i go wheeling so i stuck some on there one Friday. And because of not having said bumper i recently had a run in with a small tree on a trail, got lucky just busted out my turn signal lense dident hurt the grill all. But i would like to figure out a way of having the bumper and the tow hooks on at the same time. I know my way around with a cutoff wheel, ox acetylene torch, welder yatta yatta.

Any ideas? Sorry for the ramble on. heres some old school mopar goodness for you :)

extremetowny's "elmo"

who says my half ton can't run with the 4bt and V8 boys? 8)

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Build a bumper.  With the design of the stock bumper, you are going to have to cut a hole in the already retardly weak bumper to be able to have the hooks attached to the frame.  Even without holes in it the stock bumper is a weak, twisting POS that probably would not have saved your turn signal anyway and normally destroys the valance and fender.  If you wheel without protection you aren't going to have a dent-free body for long.  ;D

·
Registered
348 Posts
the ears on the bottom of the frame where the bumper attaches, are too soft and will bend. you need a bumper if you are going to pull anything heavier than a parade balloon.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Low buck solution is to find a reciever hitch from an old truck in your local JY, cut it down to fit inside the front framerails with a pair of end plates welded on, and bolt it in place.  Then use the reciever as a winch/pull point. 

·
Registered
611 Posts
You could put a piece of heavy flatbar across the bottom and weld you a reciever tube to it, something like I did to mine. I raised my bumper up to match the body lift and dropped my hangers down 2 inches but you get the idea.. I used two reciever tubes on mine..

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
You would have to add quite a bit to the bottom of the frame on a stock truck to get anything to stick out below a mid-late '80s bumper mounted in the stock location.  This added metal would just create leverage against it's mounting point on the frame and weaken the assembly. 

In my opinion, about the only real option for using the stock bumper in a real world off road situation would be to build a heavy bumper to fit behind the stock bumper and use the stock one as more of a fascia for looks than anything.  It would still have to be notched to allow a hook or shackle mount to be mounted directly to the frame in line with the main rail, but at least then the bumper being further weakened by the holes would not matter as it's just a decoration.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Good point Elwenil, I forgot about that. I had a truck that was set up for a removable winch and the reciever tubes was drop quite a bit on it to clear the bottom of the bumper.. Don't know why that slipped my mind, had a brain fart I guess.. lol

·
Registered
579 Posts
Didn`t want to start a new thread and didnt find any info searching not that i tried that hard  :p. Anyways has anyone reinforced their stock rear bumper? I kinda wanted to box the ends with some 3/16 plate so i can jack it up without bending the bumper to hell also has anybody put decent tow hooks on theirs?

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
The problem with boxing it is you are going to burn the chrome and probably have to get it re-plated.  Even then the bumper face isn't made of very stout steel to begin with and may deform under the weight of the truck.  If it were boxed and reinforced it would have to be done right and would probably weigh a ton.  One other thing to think about is how the chroming process makes metal brittle.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
I think I saw a vid on here a few years ago of a guy fixing a bent RC bumper by attaching a tow strap to the frame, looping it around a telephone pole and then wrapping it around the bumper and slowly backing up.  Popped it right back so yea, not very stout steel on those bumpers.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Yeah, I did that a lot with my '84 Ramcharger.  The bumper was always getting bent one way or the other and I would hook a chain to it and the tree in the front yard and pull it back out or ram the tree at a low speed to fold it back.  I will say I expected it to stress and break but it never did while I owned it.  ;D

·
Registered
579 Posts
ya mines already warped to hell. Id like to paint it black anyways but maybe i wont waste anytime or steel on it. still wouldnt mind a strong towpoint though.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
I've done the strap around a tree bumper straightening many times myself. As stated, rather flimsy bumpers.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The military Blazers had a big bumper alot like your old one. they had tow hooks that swiveled vertically in their mount which was two bolts I believe Try a military vehicle parts outlet like 'Saturn surplus' military parts in a search

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
The CUCV bumpers tow hooks mount to the frame.  I know of a person who tried to adapt the GM bumpers to a Dodge but eventually gave up since the dimensions were so different.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Elwenil said:
The CUCV bumpers tow hooks mount to the frame. I know of a person who tried to adapt the GM bumpers to a Dodge but eventually gave up since the dimensions were so different.
well that puts a damper on things.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
I'd check them out either way.  You never know when you might succeed where someone else has failed.  Besides, a few measurements and some wasted time is all that's at stake.  If I were going to go that route, I'd probably replace the front crossmember with a piece of square tube with all the holes needed to attache the core support mounts but also attach some tow hook mounts similar to the CUCVs through the tube crossmember and welded all the way around and cut the holes in the bumper to stick them through.  Brace them back against the crossmember in the center and they should be pretty sturdy if made out of heavy enough steel.  That's pretty much how one guy made a front winch receiver setup with dual receivers and he also uses it for a tow point.  Personally it's a lot more work than what I would want to go through to keep the stock bumper, but it is possible with some time and complicated measuring though it will still weaken the bumper somewhat.  With the holes in the bumper inboard of the bumper brackets it may still be decently strong though the stock setup is not really made to take any punishment.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts