Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it isn't specifically Ramcharger related, but I can't think of a better group of people to ask this question to.

I swapped my truck from the original fleetside (whatever Chrysler called it) bed to the utiline/stepside bed.

If you can't tell, the stepside bed was fairly rough when I got it. The original wood bed floor and metal strips and bed support structure was long gone. I got reproduction bed cross members, but I have a question about how the bed mounts.

My old bed had six bolts holding it to the frame. Two in the front, two in fourth cross rail (second from back of truck) and two in the rearmost bed cross rail directly under the tailgate. The stepside bed mounts the same in the front, but the rear four bolts are different. The fourth cross rail still bolts to the frame, but it doesn't attach to the metal of the bed itself. It bolts to the wood bed floor, but that appears to be it. The rearmost bed crossrail has NO provisions for mounting the bed to the frame and the cross sill just sits on the frame rails.

Is this correct? Since so much of the support structure of the stepside bed was missing when I bought it, I am not 100% sure on how the rear fastens to the frame.

Here is a picture of the rearmost cross sill sitting on the frame:

The front bolts for the bed went into the bolt holes fine. I am just worried about securing the rear of the bed.

Any tips and especially any pictures are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'll try to grab some pics later this week.

I'm having some similar issues with my 79 utiline. The back of the bed is sitting right on the frame. Didn't have a bumper when I got it so bought a bumper and a tow bar. The tow bar should slide along the topside of the frame rail and under the bed but less than zero clearance. I thought there were 2 forward and two rear mounts as you describe.

No idea on bolting through the bed. My floor was rotted and 90+% gone. The bed strips were twisted and beat up. THEN someone had cut up plywood and screwed it thru the original mounting holes, and drilled a few of their own thru the strips and back edge of the bed floor. After that they hacked the plywood and mounted a fuel cell in the bed.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.  Those two bolts in the frame in the last picture are the bumper bracket bolts.  The bumper sticks way behind the bed and lower than the bottom hinge of the tailgate.  I just can't believe that Dodge would use bolts through the frome of the bed in front but not in the rear.  I must be missing a piece or something.

And yeah, the previous owner of this bed removed the original wood and metal divider strips and two of the bed floor support braces and replaced it with pressure treated lumber. 

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
191 Posts
As promised. The first pic is of the frame and bed from the rear. The top of the frame rail is tucked under the bed. No way to get my tow bar on unless I lift up bed and slide it on. Then either shim it or add longer bolts and let it rest on hitch.

The other 2 are of the bed mounting. Yep, mine too is only held on by 4 bolts. When I pulled out the plywood, the center cross brace was just kind of sitting there unattached and freely moving around. I guess that the metal strips in the wood bed connect to that and stabilize the center.

Attachments

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
deathrowdave said:
Mine has 1 in thick white oak block between the bed and mounts . I'm not sure if that is OEM or not but I suspect it very well is .
I have read this, too. I have been trying to get answers from the LRE and Warlock guys.

My understanding is that the#1 cross member bolts to the frame in the front. The #2 floats off the frame but bolts to the floor. #s 3 and 4 bolt to the floor and bolt to the frame but have wood spacers between them and the frame. #5 cross member is where the tailgate attaches and it doesn't bolt to the frame. The box of the stepside is bolted to the frame in the front by crossmember #1. The rest of the stepside bed is attached to the wood floor and the wood floor is attached to the frame by crossmembers 3 and 4.

Does that sound right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.