Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I am trying to install a new starter on my 1986 ramcharger (5.9liter automatic) and we got it all hooked up... it mates up flush with the flywheel housing... and when i go to put the negative battery terminal on... it spins and the negative/battery connection sparks and smokes. this is obviously not good. So I thought maybe it's grounded somewhere along the line on the starter. And the two wires used to be attached by rubber insulating them from each other... but that fell apart as i was taking it off, so i covered them in electrical tape. But i double checked all of that, cant see anywhere that it may be grounded. So I am really lost. Please somebody give me some advice, I'm supposed to be in portland sunday for mothers day.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Double Double check your elec conections, is all I can say. Did you switch any wires at the relay on the fenderwell? Does the starter solenoid click or motor spin during this? For sure don't rely on elec tape to protect the cables, bro, replace them, and with a larger gauge to boot.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
sounds like the terminals got twisted when you tightened them down and they're both touching the battery POS. Unless it's inside the starter.. Cause it sounds like those two terminals are connected somewhere.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I posted too quick....... as sure as I'm sitting here, you taped the two separated wire together.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Well, if the only true difference is the starter ( I still say keep checking though) , then maybe you've got a bum starter? Stranger things have happened.

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
One way or another you have 12 volts on the solenoid. Whether that is from the main cable being in contact with the solenoid wire, or the terminal on the starter is the question.

I know the solenoid wire terminal is pretty flimsy, so it could be twisted somewhat, and could be touching the power terminal on the starter.
1. Disconnect the starter switch on the drivers fender and see if it spins up when you hook up the battery. If so, then it is in the wiring or the starter.
2. Disconnect the solenoid (small) wire from the starter, then hook up the battery. If it spins up when battery power is applied, it is a bad starter. If not, and it spun up with the starter switch disconnected, you need to troubleshoot the wiring.

The reason it smokes when you start to put on the cable is because the connection is not good, since it has not been fully seated yet.

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Sadly enough, "new" isn't always good. Anytime you get a starter, have the store check it on their test rig.

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
intenseimages said:
first of all, why are you connecting the wires with the battery hooked up?

eric
I don't think he was Eric, he is talking about it smoking when he hooks the negative cable back up....

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
dodge8564 said:
intenseimages said:
first of all, why are you connecting the wires with the battery hooked up?

eric
I don't think he was Eric, he is talking about it smoking when he hooks the negative cable back up....
oops my mistake i was half asleep when i read the post

eric

1 - 11 of 11 Posts