Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i need help my dad has a 86 ramcharger with a 318.
when u go to give it gas in drive or reverse it will loses all power then come back and loses power agin then it goes away but happen after most stop's at a light or stop sign
if any one has any ideas what this can be plzz can u help

·
Registered
756 Posts
does it cut out? or just lose power?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it is lossing power only thu if it in gear the light go dim and back then dim and it fell like the trucks is hesating to go and it is lunging tru this. the fuel filter and pump are new

·
Registered
73 Posts
have a quick check of all the vacume lines also give the ignition timing a check too.And what light is going dim do you have a charging issue?or is it because of low rpm's? check it out ignition cant work well if the batt sucks and it's not being fed properly.

Just a few things to check out,it's good to know anyway.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If the lights are dim, it's probably electrical. I'm assuming you can start the truck since you can get it to a stop sign and get it in gear.
If you have a voltmeter and know how to use it, check the voltage at the back of the alternator. Have someone rev the engine and it should read about 14.5V-15.0V. If it doesn't read 14.5-15.0V when it is running it's probably your alternator.
If that reads good, check the voltage at your battery. If you don't get the same reading there I would start by changing the Voltage regulator. Make sure and buy a GOOD one, they don't cost that much more and are more reliable.
If that doesn't help, check ALL of your ground wires and electical connections. In my 85 a small ground wire leading from my battery to the radiator mount had worn. Stumped me for a week until I found it. It didn't give me the symptoms you describe, but didn't recharge the battery efficiently.
I also had the same problem you describe. My truck would run but there was no power and wanted to die at idle. My alternator had died 100%.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah dido jto kinda tricky to get what he meant here but I think we might be on the right track with what he said by dim lights so sure dose sound electrical.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Nope the fuel pump is mechanical that year . Anyhow one other thing to look at is the catalytic conerter will make it do just like decribed when it gets clogged and needs replaced . As to the electrical problem probably a short in the head light wiring .

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
i am not totally convinced it is electrical, sounds like when it is in gear and you are brakeing or at a stop light it is idling down to low causing the headlights to dim a bit.

just out of curiosity, what carb do you have on this? how old is it? does it need a rebuild? is your air/fuel mix set right? what is your idle set at? timing? have you checked for vacuum leaks?

eric

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
will do all this asap during the week school and cant get to the truck for any time have had a electrical problem before and the carb on it is newer was replaced when we got it. It is a holly 2 bairl (will get model) and the cap on the dispruter is new and catalic converter. It is hard to say what it fell's like kinda a cugging as it do this the power to the lights goes very low and if u stay on the gass it will stop and drive normal untell next stop and go.
I will see if i can get a clip of the sound it makes and link it to my webpage so that u can hear it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey update had a guy look at it and so far we are gone replace the fuel filter and then do the cap and roter and see after that

1 - 13 of 13 Posts