Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im tyring to set the timing on my 75. I plugged the addvance line and turnned the distributer but when it get it to 0 and hold it there it will advance or retard with out me moving it. Am i doing something wrong? what would cause it to do that? Also im using an inductive timing light should I be using should i be usind an advance timing light?

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Are you saying the timing is bouncing around? if so that generally means a stretched timing chain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think its pionts. It could be the timing chain its an old military truck and i dont think it has ever been rebuilt. It doensnt bounce so much i will set it at zero then it will stay for a second then just start to move one way or the other aoubt a degree ever few seconds ande it will go out pass 10* both ways.

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Either the advance plate (that the points screw onto) or the centrifugal advance springs on that plate inside the distributor, or the timing chain, or both,... are prime suspects.

·
7,995 Posts
Smokey said:
Either the advance plate (that the points screw onto) or the centrifugal advance springs on that plate inside the distributor, or the timing chain, or both,... are prime suspects.
Smokey, I was gettin to that! ;D I'm old and slow now that I had a birthday. ???
You might want to pull that distributor apart and clean up the weights and inside guts. Very few people do this and over time things get gummed up. If you change the chain and gears use a roller chain and sprockets, it's worth the extra few bucks.:)

·
Registered
134 Posts
ok, are you loosening the hold down bolt too much and the distributor is turning? easy to do. just tighten it up a hair and go for it again. if the timing itself is changing without the distributor being turned then i would suspect the timing chain as well

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
That's actually a good suggestion... We all went for the gusto, and forgot SIMPLE STUFF FIRST.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have losened it up alot and held it and I also had the screw tight so I could barely turn it but eather way still the same results. I will take it apart tomarrow and see what everything looks like and clean it. If that doesnt work Ill check out the chain and gears. How much a set of gears and chain be, cheapst and the best (fyi i paid $500 for the truck Im not tryign to be cheap but first I want to get it to run good). Aslo everyone thanks for all the help with this :).

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Make sure the springs on the advance plate are doing thier job... actually, they're cheap enough to just replace'em.

Chain gears and gasket probably set you back around a hundred bucks. Cheap insurance, if that is what you need. Any idea how many miles are on the engine ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I got it out and all cleaned up and back in and it fixed the problem. Know I need to know how to set my carb so I can get it timed rite. How many turns out should the air and fuel screw be? Its a carter 2brl, It doesnt need to be perfect just a good guess. Over all the truck idels and runs alot somther know so tanks agin for all the help everyone.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Start at about 2.5 turns out but you'll need to fine tune it from there.

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Yep. If you've got a vacuum meter, you can tweak'em for hgihest vacuum at idle, but 2.5 's a good place to start.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts