Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any recommendations, or part #s, sources to look for them at. The radiator shroud is factory...  I want to get rid of this POS clutch fan that hardly draws any air what so ever at idle, even when I set the idle at 750+rpm. Anyone using direct fans? All info appreciated.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
u talking like a flex fan that has no fan clutch ?  they work but u will get sick of the howl from it ...i would suggest some electrics really ...

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
oh yea this daily or off roader ? if offroad run the electric fan set up with an aluminum rad ...think gunpilot did a write up on the install of them ...see i am helpful even though i still dont like ya  ;D

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont mind the noise man, yes no clutch= LW ect ect.. I was gonna get an E fan but its not worth the cost.. And with the direct bolt flex, I always know its working...  This trucks exhaust is very loud, and my sound system is 500 (Real)watt amp with 10" sub behind my seat with tweeters and 6"ers in the doors... If Im not listening to my engine, Im blasting metal down the road.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
MG42PillBox said:
And with the direct bolt flex, I always know its working...
Actually, that's the problem. Flex fans are designed to go flat and neutral at higher RPMs so it won't always work.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
You probably have a 5 blade fan, which works O.K.  If you get a 7 blade fan, it'll work a lot better along with a heavy duty thermal clutch.  The fan shrouds are usually made for a 20" fan blade.  I used to have a five blade 20" fan, then tried an 18" 7 blade.  The 5 blade worked better because it "filled" the shroud better to help pull air more efficiently.  I found a 7 blade 20" fan out of a C-body in the parts yard and put that on with a heavy duty thermal clutch fan.
If you're dead set on a mechanical fan, you can check out summit racing.  First, measure the diameter of the fan shroud, then get a fan that's about 1.5-2" narrower that the shroud.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Mopar always said the asymmetrical 5 blade fan worked better than the other designs.  They even sold it as a performance part for a long time, maybe still do.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I've run flex fans for years and never had a problem with them or minded the noise. If you do use one you'll need a spacer to get it at least as close to the rad as the stock fan is and you alsio may have to trim the shroud to get it to fit.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Older Dodge/Plymouth Cars with A/C usually have a decent sized Solid Fan, way better than the Clutch POS (Even a new Clutch Fan).

Couldn't find one for my old truck when the New Fan Clutch went out, so i drilled through it and bolted it solid  :p  Holy Hell did it make noise at higher rpms.  Above 3,000 rpms it sounded like a cross between a jet engine and a turbo, people would turn and look  :p

My Duster on the other hand has a Stainless Steel Flex Fan, and it doesn't start to howl until about 6,000 rpm

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Beware running a lightweight racing style flex fan on a wheeling rig.  If it hits mud or water with it spinning at a decent speed, it's going to break or fly apart, possibly taking the radiator with it.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Elwenil said:
Actually, that's the problem. Flex fans are designed to go flat and neutral at higher RPMs so it won't always work.
.... It will always work at idle when I NEED the air flow.. Why would I need a fan to work at RPM when I'm hauling ass? Its a street Dodge, I like moving around 75mph plus... will never take her off road. I drive an M1 Abrams tank off road for my job, so I don't need a trail rig to get my mud bug fixed... ;D

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Think mud hole, low speed, high RPMs to keep the tires cleaning and on top, no air through the radiator.  Or in low range, low gear crawling on a trail at higher RPMS for better control and not enough speed to keep up the air flow.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No store wants to sell me a fan over 14" this sucks..

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
I don't know how big a fan you want , but auto zone sell's a 19" flex fan . Part number 983569 . You will still need a spacer though .

G

·
As has been stated already, I would encourage at least replacing the clutch with the HD model. Having said that, when doing away withe dual electrics on my '89 Shelby Dak, I used a 17 inch turbo flex universal by Perma Cool. I needed a 1 inch spacer. Not so loud, traditional looks with robust construction.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Think I have one from when I rebuilt my 79 motor and did away with it. Let me look and I'll get back to ya. Might still can find the spacer that came off with it.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for your help guys... I'll call AutoZone too... 

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok well I just called AutoZone, they said they have that part #983569 and they have a 2.5" space kit for it too thats $15 bucks. The fan itself is $32... I am tempted to go down and look at it, Im just curious to what the off brand is offering compared to the Flexalite company. I want the fan to free up as much power as I can get obviously...

G

·
A couple hp one way or the other, you're never gonna have a perfect deal. If you decide later on to go back go the OEM, it's not like you've spent huge $. Swapping back is a minor issue.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts