Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
59,509 Posts
First, you need to know which chain you need. They started with a wide (2&1/2" I think) Chain, and then went to a narrow one (2" I think), I do not know when they switched. (The narrow one is the stronger one).

I had some sites bookmarked, I will look for them, and see if they still list any. Hopefully someone else can stop in and help.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as I know the 203 is original to the truck. 1975. I have looked and looked but is seems every site I go to is sold out or not restocking.
Thanks for moving this and starting a new thread.

·
Super Moderator
59,509 Posts
Watch them, they say both width chains have the 3/8 pitch, which is not right.

I found this in my notes, maybe googling the part number will find you a chain.

[QUOTE
1973 - 1978 --> 3/8 Pitch x 2-1/2 W x 98 Pitches
1978 - 1979 --> 1/2 Pitch x 2 W x 72 Pitches

Here are some part numbers:

2 1/2" chain
Motive Gear 11428
Morse HV005
Cloyes 10-005c

2" chain
Motive Gear 13433
Morse HV009
Cloyes 10-009c
][/QUOTE]

Are you sure you need a chain? I have seen some pretty sloppy ones do fine.

Reactions: shanker

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Used to be the military surplus places had them, along with complete T-cases, because they were stock to the M880 series trucks. I suppose they are scarce now. Ford/GM also used the NP203, not sure what interchanged with Dodge.

Bucky

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I havnt fully diagnosed it yet...but when put under any kind of load there is a loud “pop”.
I don’t really have much experience with the 203 other than using the gearbox doubled to a 205. The drop got pushed into the scrap bin.

·
Registered
875 Posts
First check to make sure your shift rods are in the correct position fully...203 shifters are a finicky creature and often come out of adjustment so its not locked fully in gear. BJs does sell the chains but they are made to order and not cheap, and Super is right, Id check with them on the pitch as they shouldn't be the same. I haven't found any other source for them and pretty much everyplace I called stopped rebuilding them for this reason.

·
Registered
28,349 Posts
download or print diagrams as they expire

Reactions: neil4224

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info guys and for the contact gearfather. I’ve been slowly digging into multiple engine and running gear projects. Hopefully they will all come together as a w300/360/435/205/60/70..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts