1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What to do?
I'm getting a new (rebuilt) long block kit for my 88rc 4x4 318efi
Stock roller lifters

setting up for fuel efficieny - daily driver (about 400 miles a week)
Assuming I drive like an old man - light on the gas pedal.

Will the EFI work properly with a (RV) higher lift Cam?

What about 360 heads would they effect the computer timing too much?

Thanks
Rod

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Hay watch that remark: "drive like an old man" I resemble that!

Seriously go for more power and up-grade to a 360.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I keep forgetting that I too resemble that remark.

Will the computer care that it is a 360 vs the 318?

I'd do it if the EFI computer works on it.
Thanks

·
Registered
561 Posts
Make sure the 360 computer is compatable with the trans behind your 318, ie; lock-up / non-lock-up, O/D non-O/D. I've run my old 318 with a 360 computer to just to see what performance differences you could appreciate from the swap.

My 318, at the time, was running the stock 318 TB w/360 injectors on an Edelbrock Intake, .443 roller, (MP 300 hp service cam kit), dual cats and exhaust.

While this isn't an "apples to apples" comparasion, I can say that the timing advance and fuel delivery curves are much better for performance than the factory original 318 computer I was running with this combination.

I'm in the process of hot rodding a 366 with a factory 360 TB on the same intake. This motor has been built around specs, (Crower custom 50 state legal roller cam), 2.02 SS valve heads, that should produce 350 - 360 hp and 400 lb/ft torque in a reasonable and user friendly RPM range of 1200 - 5400 RPM's, (which most of the factory computers limit the revs to anyhow.)

I'm waiting on my A518 to come back from the shop so I can start my reassembly, which includes a custom ATI 2200 rpm fully rollerized custom convertor.

This should be just what the doctor ordered for my Ramcharger. I'll post results when I get it all together and debug it.

Incidently, quite often the question comes up here on the boards, as to whether the factory 318 and 360 TB's differ in size and cfm capability. The answer is yes, the 360 is considerably larger, uses a different gasket, otherwise they are the same bolt pattern and all of the elec. accessories interchange.

Dave ;)

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have an RV cam in my 89 318 efi.It did cause it to flood at idle, but a slight increase in idle speed all but cured that. Best bet is to go with the 360 computer, and a 360. I wish i did. There is no replacement for displacement.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is good stuff - If I understand this correctly
I could replace the motor including TB and the computer, but can keep all the electrical wiring
provided the tranny matches.
What year model came with a 360 TBI 4x4?

If I do not replace the computer would it run to lean? or just not run?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Becareful with the Cam the comps can't understand cams when they get much beyond stock spec's, if you want alot of power you will have to get the comp reporgrammed of toss it all together and use a carb.

Don't run any converters with slip in them stick with stock, build the motor right

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Evil
I've decided to go a different route altogether
I just bought a 4.0L 6-inline with drive train with gauges, wiring harnesseses and fuel tank with pump
out of a 2000 Jeep grand cherokee for retrofit. Jeep had 21K on the oddometer
Now all I have to do is build it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts