Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am starting to fix the brakes on my trail duster. the problem is the rear brake drums seem to be rusted on to the center hub. i tired spraying pb blaster on it and beating it with a hammer,no luck. i tried heating up the drum and then using the hammer again,still no luck. now my back is real sore from wailing on the brake drums all day :(. anyone have a sure fire way to remove these stubborn bastards?

·
Registered
365 Posts
bigger hammer! make sure you e brane didnt get put on just a little bit good luck

·
Registered
71 Posts
i had to use a mall and some wd40 on my replacement axle. of course i had to get new drums but i was going to do that anyway.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Just gonna have to keep beating on it, unless you have a really really big gear puller!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Ya, back out the star adjuster (make sure you turn it the right way). The shoes can catch on the inside of the drum on a grove thats been carved in place by them, and unless they get backed out they wont come off.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
go to the tool rental place (Autozone?) and see if they have a drum puller, looks like a BIG gear puller, and what others have said, back off the adjusters. Put the drum puller on and get some tension on it THEN try whacking it with the hammer, good luck.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Refer to ChrisLib he hasid it best also u cna get a tooll to turn that star nut so u can back it off with ease . I would guess the drums froze in the shoes at some point in time .

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Normally on a semi floater axle, I would back off the drums all the way, then I hit the axle (hub) with a small sledge hammer, that usually frees them. In one extreme case. I used a couple of small pry bars to help leverage the drum off from the back side. I had to take the pry bars and push them inbetween the drum and the backing plate and pry against the drum, then with the small sledge hammer I beat on the hub and the drum poped off.

Ed

·
Registered
381 Posts
if you wound up the star wheels as far as possible and the drums still won't come off, you can get the drums off w/o destroying them. take the 2 bolts off of the wheel cylinder in back of the brake drum, grind off the top on the nail that holds the shoes against the drun and you ought to be able to get the drum far enough away to pry out the pieces. the e-brake will still be attached. if the drum is still rusted to the axle flange, soak the daylights out of it, I use blaster form advanced, heat it with a propane or mapp gas torch. try not to pry on the backing plate too much, bend them and the brakes won't have as much contact as parallel shoes will. good luck

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just a mini-update, i popped off the little rubber plugs from the backing plate today to try to loosen the adjuster and its seized so i sprayed it with pb blaster and i'm gonna see if i can get it to move tomorrow. which way am i supposed to turn it?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Are you sure it's rusted? You have to take a piece of stiff wire, like a welding rod, and hold the adjuster off the star wheel, then back off the star wheel with a long, thin shaft flathead screwdriver (or go drop $5 on the tool, which has a bend in it to make it easier) Turn it from bottom to top to loosen it.

Matt {peace}

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.