Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The next couple of projects I want to attempt will require a welder. I don't want to fork over the loot, and I have plans on building one out of 2 old microwave transformers...or using another alternator for mobility. Has anyone tried any of these, if so was it capable to the task? Or just any plain suggesstions would be appreciated. The plans I have for the micro-welder puts out 70-80 amps, which should be okay for 1/4" steel I believe...

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Good luck, Let us know how it turnes out. Be carefull there's a lot of juice your gonna mess with.

·
Registered
419 Posts
i wouldn't do it personaly too many things can go wrong, just get a cheapo on ebay or at a hardware store i think you can get the small ones for less than 250 anymore and they will last a while and do the job right

·
Registered
663 Posts
70-80A? what are you welding, a tricycle?
if you want to weld 1/4" you better up the juice.
Find a Harbor Freight store.
the only reason i don t have a welder right now is cause i cant afford a good one, it s worth the wate.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I have seen that web-site to build the welder with old microwave transformers, ( http://www.dansworkshop.com/Homebuilt%20arc%20welder.shtml ) I'm collecting them to build one myself to see how good it works. Only have a mixed blend of 3 heavy duty and 4 light duty transformers now. I want all 8 to be the heavy duty for best amp output! Also have an old 1954 AC-180 that is as heavy as 440 long block, and wanted a smaller, well lighter setup. If your in a pinch and have some old charged, car batteries around. You can wire 3 in series and DC weld, I have done that it works ok, just keep the batteries WAY away from the welding by using long cables. Batteries will explode!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
right, the transformers will work from a 110 volt receptacle...pretty portable, which is why I was thinking of going with the alternator deal for super portability. The 8 transponder works off of 220 and will cook some 1/4". I plan on that in the future also. I like that schematic because he has used some quality electronics to make it pretty versatile.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have any of you built any of these? I was going to do a test with the 70 amp one, but use pure copper for the secondary...then do the better one when I get the extra tranformers. That SCR module Dan uses is like $40.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.