1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
as far as what to check for I don't know being that it's chevy.... but I don't see any place in the ad that says diesel... maybe I missed it when I read it the first 3 times..LOL but I would say you would be better off with the dodge..... plus I bought my 97 ext. 2500 setup just about like the chevy for $4k so if your willing to look they are out there.... unless you in the need right now.. then take your time.... my truck came with the 5th wheel setup just like the chevy plus a second set of 35" mud terrain tires. electric brake booster and lots more and I only looked 1 week before I found it 100 miles away and they delivered it to me.....

Scott

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ran the VIN through a decoder and it said diesel(6.5), its also in the title to the post. I still need to double check because I dont know what kind of trust I will put in an online decoder. I am not in an immediate need but am starting to look. If something doesnt reach out and slap me in the face i'll be moving on. I want a diesel to tow, Im going to be headed to Oklahoma in the first part of next year with my W150 in tow. And, I just would like to have a diesel in general. That W250 looks sweet but the owner wont get back with me on it.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I was doing more research on them last night and they are quite unextroadinary numbers

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just went today and test drove a '98 3500 Cummins. In looking it over, it was not cosmetically pretty but mechanically it seemed fairly sound minus a small oil leak underneath. I turned the key on, waited for the "wait to start" light to go off, and when I turned the key to start the truck it took less than one rpm to fire up it seemed. I was quite impressed, it started really quick. My concern started when I put it in drive, or so I thought, to take it for a test drive, it didn't move when I accelerated. I then put the trans in reverse and the truck jumped. So, I put it back in drive and their was no issue anymore. Maybe I didn't have it all the way in gear? Down the road about 1 mile, cruising about 35mph, the truck lost power. Engine seemed to still be at the same rpm but not moving forward. I left off the accel and when I got back on it the truck picked right back up. It happened one more time on the ~4 mile trip at about the same speed. The guy is only asking $5500 for the truck. Any ideas what this may be and is it remotely worth pursuing?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Low on tranny fluid. That's not nice. Could be due to a simple leak, such as a rub-worn cooling line (one of my aluminum cooling lines had been rubbing against the steel frame, and eventually got a hole). It's only annoying and messy, if you keep pouring fresh fluid in, but, if it gets ahead of you, those bearings and other parts will be operating un-lubed, and you'll get roadsided.

The truck mightn't be a bad deal @ $5500, so long as you're mentally and walletly prepared to go straight to the tranny shop, and maybe shell out another 2K, but you could spec out some stronger upgrade internals, beyond "stock".
Upside:
For $7500 you'd have a strong motor, and a new tranny.

Downside:
Even upgraded, the Dodge automatic behind the Cummins just doesn't have giant longevity.
You'd also have the Delco brakes that I hated on my Chevy, and that don't have really long service life under such heavy machinery.

FWIW, I hated my truck's brakes for years ('98 2500), because I was getting only about 20K out of a set from Midas.  That's all fine and good if you have the time to go sit in the Midas store that often, but, way too many times, I'd have to drive more weeks before getting the truck in, and by that time, I'd damaged a rotor or a caliper, or both.  After Corpus Christi's Midas shop closed, I had to go to Brake Masters.  The brakes they did 2 years ago are still like new. I don't know what's different now, but, I like Brake Masters.

Go buy it, but, fix the tranny, and do the brakes too.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm still mulling it over. I guess it needs the tranny gone throught but my dad knows someoned that's owns a tranny shop so I could take it to him. I definately needs front brakes and rotors, they have a nasty groove in them. Gotta fix the oil leak, the "brake" light was on, H/L switch didn't work and the "check engine" light was on for the first part of the test drive even though it seemed to run fine. It would need some work but I'm trying to justify if its worth the $5500, even though that is a good price for a diesel.

On a more technical note, how hard are those trans to pull? Its a 2wd

·
Registered
29 Posts
Never did it myself. Hired it done THREE FRIGGIN' TIMES  :mad:  One of these days, I need to find the 5-speed version of my identical truck, and trade the guy out of it.

I'm sooooo tired of having torque "converted" instead of just friggin' transferred.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts