Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I posted about how my upper steering column internals on the '84 I just bought are tore all to hell. Well I've ordered a junkyard replacement from a place in PA (closest place that had one). It's a tilt for column shift 4X4, just like the one I have now. The problem is, it's supposed to come today or first thing tomorrow. The shop is waiting for it, but when I checked about two hours ago, it hadn't arrived at my house yet. I also don't see a charge for it on my credit card yet, though it was supposed to ship out friday. If this falls through or is DOA, is there anywhere else I can buy a good steering column? I've already got the steering shaft repalcement in, but need the upper half.

-Dan

·
Administrator
60,650 Posts
If you're swapping the whole column, a non tilt would also fit, might be easier to find.(from an RC or pickup, must be 4x4)
also most of the tilt parts are the same, for the same year dodge van

·
29,380 Posts
superburban said:
If you're swapping the whole column, a non tilt would also fit, might be easier to find.(from an RC or pickup, must be 4x4)
also most of the tilt parts are the same, for the same year dodge van
The tilt and standard columns are different legnths though. So unless he has the newer "universal" style borgeson, he'd need a different legnth steering shaft.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
car-part is where I located the first column. There were litterally only like three listed on the east coast that had tilt for a 4X4 '84 Ramcharger (and they automatically do cross compatability checks). I just ended up ordering another one from Virginia. Ended up costing me $210 shipped :( I think I might try to recondition my old one and either keep it as a spare should this ever happen again, or sell it for some cash given how hard these seem to be to come by.

I found columnsgalore, but they said they could only recondition or rebuild the one I have, they didn't have replacements in stock. They said it'd be a 2-3 day turn around and it would cost $100 plus parts for a recondition or $150 plus parts for a complete rebuild. Since I need this fast, I'm not going that route. The place in VA says they could get it here by tomorrow. I'm having it sent right to the shop.

As for the lower shaft, I do have the borgeson going in, which I just bought. They're supposed to be adjustable for up to a 3" body lift. I don't think my truck has any body lift to it, just a 4" suspention lift.

Another question though, if anyone knows... Maryland has laws on lifting your truck. From what I researched on the internet, it looks like the law is "28" to the bumper" (http://www.truckworld.com/How-To-Tech/97-lift-laws/lift-laws.html)

Does this mean from the ground to the bottom of the front bumper and can you lift the truck higher if you put some kind of dropdown bracket on the bumper? I know this is completely off topic, but just wondering. Also, does anyone know what the laws are regarding wider tires on a MD vehicle? I think the front tires hang out just a hair in the front... Am I going to need fender flares to be legal?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.