Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...of Invention!

As some of you know (previous posting) I was going after the oil pressure/sender swith on my 318. Great advice from all!

When I got the coil off and went to put the 1 &1/16 deep socket on the sender, it spun pretty free. After closer inspection, I could see where it had been rounded-off so bad, that no socket or wrench was going to get a hold of it. Needless to say, I cursed a blue streak! Than the wife called me in as dinner was ready.

After dinner, I went out and attacked the problem. First I took my longest handled vice grips and went in from the top, clamping the sender with the grips. Then I sprayed the sender with some PB and let it sit for 10 minutes Then I took a 18" pipe wrench, and put it to the handles of the vice grip and turned. Lo and behold, it worked! Screwed it the rest of the way out by hand.

As I got ready to put the new one in, in noticed that the 1 & 1/16 socket wasn't an exact fit...might round off that sender, too! My 14 year old son suggested a layer or two of duct tape be applied to the inside of the socket as a liner to take up that slack. I'll be damned, if two layers of duct tape wasn't just what the doctor ordered. Nice snug fit allowing me to put that sender in, toot suite!

After putting the coil and everything back on I fired up the engine and all was great.

After that, I went back inside and smacked the hell out of my wife...ain't no way a 14 year old that smart is a product of my loins! LOL (Just kidding...I wouldn't dare do something like that to my wife...she'd cut my nuts off as I slept!)

Anyway, thought I'd share those "tricks" that you may find a use for someday!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
sweet... glad ya got it without destroying the new sensor. and yes nessessity is the mother of invention:D

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
good to hear it went well
I've used tape before too to get an english wrench to fit better on a metric bolt.
Got metric wrenches now though.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
it also works well to hold a nut in the wrnech when yer hand is to big to get in there

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Yeah, for holding the nut on the blind side, while you start the bolt...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts