Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if ne1 has a winch on a bumper, if u do did u make the bumper ur self or just buy one? ne info would be great, i was thinking about making one and just would like some ideas

·
Registered
736 Posts
Soon as I can get a free moment I will be making my own. I have made a few over the years but this one will be a bit more commplicated.
Its gonna have 2 main 1/4 plates comming straight off the frame, shaped upwards kinda like an old school push bar but not as high. Then it will have a flat 1/2 plate between em at the bottom with a reciever welded on for a removable winch. After the center is finished I'll weld up a backbone out of angle kinda like these Warn Jeep bumpers where they go upwards to the fender. Im going to cut the fenders off right at the top of the marker lights and wrap it under the cuts. Then I'll plate it with 22g plate steel and smooth it all out. I have done a few cardboard templates but none have tickled my fancy.
Good luck on yours should you decide to build.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Scoots. So you're just going to use the 22ga as a decorative covering?? I was using either 20-22 ga for making patches for the quarter panels.. I'm not wanting anything under 1/4" in my bumper.. I'm hoping to end up with the higher stress areas to end up with 1/2 to 3/4". Don't want a bumper to bend..
Aaron

·
Registered
736 Posts
Yeah, Im going with 22 for as you say "decorative covering" because the backbone frame will be made out of a heavy 2" angle and tubing. Others that I hve built out of 1/4 8" tall channel were nice but once they bent that was it, no bending them back, or correctly I will say. This one having a skin I will be able to grind it off and put on new if I want.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
btt

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a warn winch bumper on my 78 RC. Got it at the local junk yard for $50. These were fairly common on state government Dodge trucks and RC's so you might could find one in your local junk yards. These are real solid where the winch mounts, a little thin on the top plate where you stand. Would not take much to weld or bolt a thick top plate.

KB

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I managed to acquire a bunch of 4 & 6" angle that's 1/4 & 3/8" thick. My plan is to have that doubled up in most places as well as reinforcing the mounting to the frame horns. I'm not concerned about if the bumper gets bent; If it's stout enough and still gets bent.. 1) there won't be a truck left behind it either and 2) I'll be hurting too much to try and bother with it. I even got some 3" box tubing to use for nerf bars and rock sliders. Eventually I'll just borrow a welder from work to get things built; but for now.. I'm just taking care of day to day stuff..

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
I am making a winch bumper for my RC, the winch part is already on the truck, just making the bumper part now. I used 1/2" thick plate for the bumper mounts and winch mount, which is all tied into each other. Next i will use tubing to make a prerunner style bumper that is integrated with the winch mount that also ties into the frame mount for added strength. I will use diamond plate for the skid plate, that will be welded to both sides of the bumper mounts and to the winch mount, this will also give it added strength. Here is a pic of the winch part (note that I have a Warn 8274 which mounts vertically, normal winches mount horizontally, but what I have done could easily be done the same way for a regular winch, just move the location of the winch mount plate).

As it is shown, it is strong enough to use, I have used the winch many times with no problems.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
haven't found any ID marks on mine, but it is similar to the Warn Classic without a brushgaurd. Had a Ramsey winch in it so mabey it was a Ramsey bumper too (if they made them). It's not real stylish, especially since it's been whacked a few times, but it works. I covered the opening for the winch with some diamond plate and it makes a real nice place to stand while working under the hood or a field bench.

Keep in mind a stout bumper is more weight, and too hard of a hit could cause frame damage instead of simpler to repair bumper damage. Got about a 45 degree bend in the frame of an old truck when the pushbar didn't bend when it got hit on the side plate by a Mercedes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts