Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sometimes when I start off from a stop light I get a noticible "CLUNK" coming from the rear of my 84 RC. Any ideas on what I should look for and then how/what to fix?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
I'm gonna say it's your slip joint. As you accellerate, the rear axle will slightly twist foward from engine torque. If the slip joint isn't sliding smoothly, it will stick and then suddenly release. Make sure you keep the splines greased and look for wear on the splines themselves. If you decide to pull apart the driveshaft for a better look-see, mark the ds and make sure it goes back together the same exact way otherwise your ds may get out of phase.

Ed

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i had a clunk like that on a 79 'Yota that i lowered... ubolts were loose... just a though. dont know if its that or the slip yoke or U-joints but its worth a look

·
Registered
162 Posts
Does it make the clunk when you first start moving or does it happen when you have already moved a few feet? Does it sometimes clunk again just as you come to a stop? Does it seem to come from the right rear? If you have answered yes to more than 1 of these questions, then jack up the rear of you're truck. Grab the right rear wheel and try moving it in and out to see how much end play you get. Compare the end play to the other side. You’re situation may be different, but the clunk may have something to do with axle end play and the way that the end play is causing the brake shoes and drum to react. At least that’s what appears to be happening with mine. I haven’t completed diagnosing this thing and I intend to hook up a set of electronic chassis ears to verify that this is where the noise is coming from. Just hasn’t been a priority, because it seems to be more of an annoyance than an impending explosion. Let me know if this sounds like what you have there, and I’ll try and get my butt in gear and dig up a set of ears. I know that I’m not the only one that has this weird noise……… Danny… if you’re out there, jump in if you have any news to add.
K.C.

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
And, the other possibility not already mentioned, pinion bearings on the rear end. Take the load off the driveshaft and wheels, and yank up-and-down on the pinion. It should not wobble, but many do.

G

·
" Quote ".........................................................................
Does it make the clunk when you first start moving or does it happen when you have already moved a few feet? Does it sometimes clunk again just as you come to a stop? Does it seem to come from the right rear?  If you have answered yes to more than 1 of these questions, then jack up the rear of you're truck. Grab the right rear wheel and try moving it in and out to see how much end play you get. Compare the end play to the other side. You?re situation may be different, but the clunk may have something to do with axle end play and the way that the end play is causing the brake shoes and drum to react. At least that?s what appears to be happening with mine. I haven?t completed diagnosing this thing and I intend to hook up a set of electronic chassis ears to verify that this is where the noise is coming from. Just hasn?t been a priority, because it seems to be more of an annoyance than an impending explosion. Let me know if this sounds like what you have there, and I?ll try and get my butt in gear and dig up a set of ears. I know that I?m not the only one that has this weird noise???  Danny? if you?re out there, jump in if you have any news to add.
K.C.
..............................................................."End Quote "
This is exactly the description of what the rear under my '82 Rc is doing,   In fact I have tried grabbing the pass. side rear wheel while sitting on the ground rolling it back and fourth actually trying to hear if the U-joints were making this clunk, and suddenly it rolled forword about 6 inches as though it had been knocked out of gear, luckily it catch ed and stopped rolling, but I don't think it should be doing this,  as I drive it and come to a stop and re-start applying the gas this is when it clunks almost  feels like the rear end drops an inch or so, at 1st I  thought it was the U-bolts loose from the leafs springs,but everything checks out good a tight, now that I have read this I'm thinking more on the line of this as the problem , and what it feels like it might be doing is the brake shoe on the pass side is sticking and when I start of going again it suddenly turns loose causing this clunking sound... anyone ever figure out  what is the Fix?
Thanks

·
2,317 Posts
my 84 rc has done it since i we got it with 40,000 miles on it. was told by a buddy that was a dodge mech that it was the ring and pinion not set quite right, but was the norm by then. dont know but has around 65,000 on it and had done lots of towing. when he jacked it up and ran it, no problem, but once it was loaded, would do it. but it was the first and only i ever had do it, so i dont know.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Probably slip joint.  Mine has been clunking for 23 years, started while still under warranty.  Was told a new yoke and install was $160. in 1984 at dealer.  Warranty was $150. deductible at the time, so I never had replaced - and still never have.  I believe there was a factory service bulletin on this also.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree with the slip joint theore. Mine had been doing it for many miles, I had the drive shaft rebuilt, with a seal, and a zerk fitting, on the joint, and I gease the hell out of it every oil
change. It helped a lot. It doesnt do it in winter, when the grease is thick.
My newly aqiured 93 RC does the same thing on take off, and  just before you come to a dead stop.
There was a factory recall on this, but it didn't help much. It more or less said to take the joint apart, clean it, and regrease it, that didn't last to long.
I have learned to live with it.

Dave C.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts