Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 91 ramcharger. 5.2 enigne, automatic. a week or two ago i started hearing a strange pinging noise and a grinding noise while moving at speed (20+mph), but not pussing on the gas peddle... basically when coasting at high speed.

it almost sounded like the rear breaks were grinding even tho they weren't engaged... so i bought a pair of brake shoes and took apart the left tire and replaced the shoes, which went fine.

i think took apart the right tire and found that the tensioner and emergency brake link cable was broken and pieces were floating around under the drum... so i pulled out all the pieces and ordered a new tensioner self adjust kit. and put it back together for the time being.

now the pinging noise is gone (had to be the stuff floating around) but the grinding noise is worse. as long as i am pushing on the gas, there is no grinding, but as soon as i take my foot off to coast, it makes the really bad grinding noise

any idea what it could be? the engine runs fine and the transmission fluid is fine. i was thinking it might be the rear diff? anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Rear diff or axle bearings. Pull the inspection/fill plug, dip your finger in the gear lube, and inspect the lube carefully for metal pieces (a magnet works well here).

If it is not too far gone, you may get by with a diff oil change....but I doubt it. :(

-SM

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
What SM said. I had the same thing on a dakota and it was the bearings in the rearend.

·
Registered
30,099 Posts
l bet ya theres no gear lube in there / been runnin DODGEs now for 22 years and l,ve only blown two[2] 9 1/4 rears up and that was because of no gear lube / there very tough rears but not without lube

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
actually, i checked the differential and it was fine. i checked the wheel bearings and they were fine... so i looked at the drive shaft and the u-joint on the side going in to the differential is broken and is missing a bearing cap on one side. easy enough to fix... which i am going to do tomorrow... i'll let everyone know how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
BOGGER35 said:
l bet ya theres no gear lube in there / been runnin DODGEs now for 22 years and l,ve only blown two[2] 9 1/4 rears up and that was because of no gear lube / there very tough rears but not without lube
My dad always taught me that grease is wasted when it's left in the tube. I guess the same could be said about oil and the jug/bucket. ;D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i dindnt have a big enough vice or a bearing press to swap the u-joints, but it cost me 130 to have both of the rear joint done.... and the new ones dont need to be greased. hope they last

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
me too....My experience with the normal auto parts store non-grease-able ones....yeah, the lifetime warranty ones...are they don't last more than a year or two at best. Normally less.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Any update on the fix? My truck is doing almost the same thing only mine is during acceleration. Sounds like squeaky brakes, but when i'm coasting (at speed) no noise, as soon as i start to accelerate squeaks again. I checked the brakes and the rearend also, but haven't had the chance to check the drive line. thanks.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
check your parking brake sometiems they will drag on the drum .... basically u just have to readjust it so it's not grabbing on the drum

1 - 10 of 10 Posts